Board Fence Material

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I'm considering installing a four-board fence at the entrance to my property.
What type of lumber to folks in the South use to build those types of fences?
1" x 6" boards seem too weak. 2" x 6" boards seem to be overkill.
I have looked at Home Depot and Lowe's and am considering using treated "deck boards"; however, I was wondering if there is a better and more economical product out there. Or should I be buying from some other supplier.
My intent is to paint the fence black with a diesel/tar type paint.
Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

What I learn about wood is that it burns. Most everything wood went up in smoke in 1990 here on my place. You are considering petroleum coatings? You live in a wetter climate that I do. Good luck. I would not use anything less than 2 by 6.

I did a similiar type fence around my yard that you are talking about 15 years ago. I used the 1X6 deck type boards. I find that if you cut and put them on 7' centers instead of 8' they are more durable. They don't have any cattle pressure against them as my yard dogs are on the inside of the fence. Predrill your nail holes on the planks and they will not split as with just nailing through them would. I would reccomend getting the planks through McCoys lumber if you have one available. If they haven't changed in the last few years, their lumber is better quality and the preservative treatment is a deeper penetration level.
I used a good quailty black tinted oil based stain and it has held up very well over the years and I've had no rot at all.

Virginia ain't exactly the deep South, and in my opinion it's got more Yanks than Southerners anymore but that's beside the point, but I prefer the rough cut pressure treated pine 1x6's to anything else. Oak warps too bad for my taste. Only time I use any board fence is around gates and creeks, but I put a hot wire on the inside so cows won't put pressure on it.

The 5/4 decking boards are good and easy to work with but they get brittle with time and tend to split for some reason. 2x6's seem to last much longer and not split. If you can get creosote boards then you would be ahead of the game cause then you wouldn't have to paint them with the tar.

I live in the Missouri Ozarks, lots of oak forests. I built two oak board fences in the last two years. The first was for a cattle holding lot (5 board, 6 feet tall +/-) and the second was for my entry way (4 board 5 feet tall +/-). I used 6X6 green oak posts set as deep as I could get them. I did mention Ozarks right? Anyway in the bottom ground 3 to 3.5 feet holes were no problem. Up top on the ridge, sometimes 18 inches was max (near solid rock). I set the posts on 8 feet centers and used 2X6 lumber for my horizontal runners. I also put a vertical 2X6 on center between the posts for a better appearance and to control warping and sagging. To prevent rot I charred each post from the bottom to slightly above the ground level. The charring is an old timer's remedy to prevent microbes from entering the wood. Ever found a charred piece of wood out in the woods? I had my lumber sawed by a local sawmill right when I was ready, had all my other supplies and a week off from "work". Doing this ensured that the wood was green and would be "sawmill strait" to make construction easier. After the oak dries out, pre-drilling and screws is the only thing that works. When it is fresh from the mill, nails go right through it. After the fence was built, I waited until the wood cured, the weather was hot, and it was dry for a couple of weeks. I then used motor oil and diesel fuel (3 to 1) and sprayed the fence with a pump sprayer. It looks awesome, a little rustic, and I only had one board warp but it is in the holding pen and cows don't seems to mind.

When I build my handling and sorting pens I plan on using the same products and methods.

Regards

I char the post also, that is what the old timers told me works. I used White Oak. Lately I use black locust and don't bother charing them.

MosesR":cy6l7xhi said:
To prevent rot I charred each post from the bottom to slightly above the ground level. The charring is an old timer's remedy to prevent microbes from entering the wood. Ever found a charred piece of wood out in the woods?
Yes, but you have have to find it soon after a burn before it rots away to nothingness.

MosesR":g4d3i7o6 said:
I live in the Missouri Ozarks, lots of oak forests. I built two oak board fences in the last two years. The first was for a cattle holding lot (5 board, 6 feet tall +/-) and the second was for my entry way (4 board 5 feet tall +/-). I used 6X6 green oak posts set as deep as I could get them. I did mention Ozarks right? Anyway in the bottom ground 3 to 3.5 feet holes were no problem. Up top on the ridge, sometimes 18 inches was max (near solid rock). I set the posts on 8 feet centers and used 2X6 lumber for my horizontal runners. I also put a vertical 2X6 on center between the posts for a better appearance and to control warping and sagging. To prevent rot I charred each post from the bottom to slightly above the ground level. The charring is an old timer's remedy to prevent microbes from entering the wood. Ever found a charred piece of wood out in the woods? I had my lumber sawed by a local sawmill right when I was ready, had all my other supplies and a week off from "work". Doing this ensured that the wood was green and would be "sawmill strait" to make construction easier. After the oak dries out, pre-drilling and screws is the only thing that works. When it is fresh from the mill, nails go right through it. After the fence was built, I waited until the wood cured, the weather was hot, and it was dry for a couple of weeks. I then used motor oil and diesel fuel (3 to 1) and sprayed the fence with a pump sprayer. It looks awesome, a little rustic, and I only had one board warp but it is in the holding pen and cows don't seems to mind.

When I build my handling and sorting pens I plan on using the same products and methods.

Regards
Can you show us how that looks ? It sounds neat. Thanks for your post.

Well I found some pics of the coral from last spring with Baldy and her new calf. I took some new ones last week but slipped and fell on the ice and…..well they I need a new camera now. :bang:

Anyway, here are the pics.

Bonus Pic

I hope the pics work!

Edit: How does one insert a picture???

5/4 cypress has a lot of advantages in the south as fence boards. Lasts a long time doesn't rot, bugs don't mess with it, gets a nice rustic weathered look if left natural. If you want to paint/coat use pine or something else.

UncleLA":2kccg6zz said:
I'm considering installing a four-board fence at the entrance to my property.
What type of lumber to folks in the South use to build those types of fences?
1" x 6" boards seem too weak. 2" x 6" boards seem to be overkill.
I have looked at Home Depot and Lowe's and am considering using treated "deck boards"; however, I was wondering if there is a better and more economical product out there. Or should I be buying from some other supplier.
My intent is to paint the fence black with a diesel/tar type paint.
Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

Uncle, you say 1X6 is too little and 2X6 is overkill. I don't know if you have access to a real lumber yard or not but in the town closest to my place they have dimensional lumber. If you buy a 1X6 it really is 1" by 6". I use the rough cut boards for things like what you're talking about and they last pretty good. Just a thought.

pdfangus":1hnf4p9h said:
LOT OF THIS GOING UP AROUND HERE.

HORSE FOLKS LOVE IT AND tHINK FOR LONG TERM DURABILITY AND BEAUTY IT WILL BE HARD TO BEAT.

http://www.rammfence.com/fence/products.php?c=41&p=67

NOT ENDORSING THIS MANUFACTURER BUT THIS TYPE OF PRODUCT MAKES A NICE FENCE

Jim I had that around the house separating the yard from the pasture. We use "penta" treated post and stretched this stuff...(the contractor did anyway). I can vouch for it without reservation. Very strong and flexible. if it gets any mold/mildew on it just pressure wash it. it will outlast the post. Wife wanted pipe fence so we took it down last year. At least I could go thru it...this dam pipe fence i have to climb over.

Latest posts