blue heeler or australian sheperd?

Help Support CattleToday:

That's another thing. Male or female? This last Aussie I had was one of my top three dogs I've owned... but I don't like female dogs. They get hurt feelings and they will hold a grudge. Males can take physical discipline or harsh language and be fine twenty seconds later. Males are more forgiving and will work harder... and at the end of the day they will calm down and take a nap at your feet.
My experience is I typically prefer male dogs, but no dog anywhere held a grudge worse than my male Border Collie and he was sensitive too.
Our female Heeler is somewhat sensitive but tough as nails and doesn't hold a grudge. It's just an individual thing I think.

I have read there some Australian sheppards are prone to certain genetic problems. I don't know more than that, but you might want to check that out, and then, if you get an Aussie, get him from a breeder who has checked his dogs for those problems. You might look at getting a Texas Heeler, which is simply an Australian Sheppard-Australian Cattle Dog (heeler) cross. A cross like that might cancel out genetic problems from both parents.

I have the Australian shepherd, she has had no training except what I've done. I wish I could find a local trainer but can't find one. She wants to run to the head instead of from behind. She is some help but doesn't really know what I want her to do. I get her to go into pasture with me and we will walk around behind my cows and I'll tell her to push up and she will get after them and they move. I can tell her to stop and she does, when I tell her to come Lady come, she will return to me. I am now trying to get her to just "walk'em up " and she will walk behind them. Is she a trained cattle dog? NO, I need to do more work with her. The stop, stay, lay down and come, she has down pat. I just don't know how to get her to move them to the corral on her own. She is 3 years old this February and is smart as some human beings. She doesn't like anyone having contact with me or my wife, even my kids or grand kids. We are working on that now. She has learned to listen to my talking and responds to it by actions, such as me saying something like, I think I'll run to the store, or, I'm going to bed, or several other things she has picked up on. I can say "get on the mule", go to the red truck, stay on the porch or go to the porch and stay. She obeys and even if I say stay on the mule, she will, while I'm spraying weeds or just to go open gates to move cows. I wish I could find someone to help me train her because she is trainable. She comes in at night and watches westerns for a couple of hours and then she is ready to go back out to the back porch where she is a good watch dog. Australian Sherphard is definitely my choice. She is family and she doesn't consider her self as a dog. lol🐾 🐶

My experience is that pups should not be weaned from from their mom until 7 or 8 weeks.
Those that are weaned early lack certain basic skills and do not socialize as well.
Just my experience over the years. Someone may have an exception that developed differently.
Anywhere between 6 and 8 weeks is best. Later on they don't bond as well due to being around their littermates. In fact that is an important point, too. If you bring a pup in to a family of dogs and don't isolate them with enough time around humans they will grow up paying too much attention to dogs instead of humans. That's why I prefer single dogs instead of a bunch of them.

Phoebe 2.jpg

What is an Idaho Shag?
What is an Idaho shag?

Image result for What is an Idaho shag?

The Idaho Shag is renowned for its stamina, herding instinct, and most of all its unmistakable scruffy appearance as if it had an accident with an electric fence that left its hair permanently fried. A blend of Airedale terrier, border collie, kelpie or heeler, an Idaho Shag sounds like a breeding accident.

We gathered, sorted, and hauled 120 pairs today. There was an assortment of dogs present. They all worked how they were asked. Going by owner so I can remember what was there. An Idaho Shag, a shag/Border collie cross, a high dollar BC, a heeler, an Australian Shepard, a Border Collie pup, a BC, a pointy nosed dog who looks a Whippet cow dog cross, and my Shag/BC cross. The high dollar BC's mother sold for over $40,000 at Red Bluff a couple years ago. All the people involved are full time cattle men or cowboys except me (I am supposed to be retired).

Latest posts