Happy Heeler, Grumpy Heeler?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I have had a couple blue heelers over the years and love them. I had a female the worked well. She was soft mouthed and would "ask" the cattle to move, until she got kicked or rolled then she would turn in to a she beast and put them were she wanted them. She was friendly to everyone two legged she met.
The last one I had was a male. He would go into the feed lot as bull of the woods. He was rough with a strong mouth, but got results. If you weren't me or my kids, good luck getting by him. If anything four legged that came in the yard, it never left. Most people were smart enough to stay in there car. He was always grumpy, but he was good in his own way.
Any way I haven't had a dog for about a year and a half. I have a chance to get a two year old male Heeler. I was told up front that the dog was grumpy. What does everyone think? Should I give him a try or should I wait for a Happy Heeler? I don't mind if he's a little anti social.
Thanks everyone.

Starting out knowing he's grumpy, I would pass. I'd hold out and try for a different one. If i got one that was an unknown and it wound up being grumpy, so be it. I would try to make it work once I had it. I like a dog that's protective, but don't like having to worry about someone getting bit if friends or family come over to visit.

What do you mean "Grumpy"? As in mean? Aggressive? I'd never get an aggressive dog of that size on purpose. But if he is just not the cuddly type than that's different. I respect a dog that doesn't want to jump on me and lick my face. Prefer it actually.

I personally like a heeler with extra attitude. When picking puppies, I am always drawn to the one that is mouthy, snarls and heels their litter mates. Having said that, I want a heeler that is rugged, tough as nails, can take a solid hit, shake it off and come back twice as mean. I have no need for a pet, I need a serious working dog. Having said that, I have never had one of those high drive, aggressive type heelers that wasn't also a wonderful dog to have around and just as loyal and protective. It is harder with any change for an older heeler, but I have taken quite a few in over the years. If they didn't end up working out for me, I was always able to find them an owner who did fit them....

My vet also works at the animal shelter. This Heeler came came to the shelter because his owners got divorced and no one could keep him. They adopted him out once. The new people took him home put him in the back yard, and he started barking at the neighbors dog. The (STUPID) new owner grabbed his back leg and he turned around and bit them. So back to the shelter he went.
I am not a fan of shelter dogs, but it just sounds like this one needs a person that has a little common sense and some understanding of how heelers perceive things.

SBMF 2015 said:
My vet also works at the animal shelter. This Heeler came came to the shelter because his owners got divorced and no one could keep him. They adopted him out once. The new people took him home put him in the back yard, and he started barking at the neighbors dog. The (STUPID) new owner grabbed his back leg and he turned around and bit them. So back to the shelter he went.
I am not a fan of shelter dogs, but it just sounds like this one needs a person that has a little common sense and some understanding of how heelers perceive things.
You may get along just fine with him. Give him time, a routine and some respect and you may be pleasantly surprised. I had a neighbor give me a nice yearling female once because she was ultra aggressive towards his other pets. He kept her in the house most of the day and was only outside for bathroom breaks. I found her to be a good female, with plenty of instinct and easy to train. She was wary of some men for whatever reason though. I had my father stop by one day, and you could tell she had found her person. I think his demeanor was calm and quiet and put her at ease.... he was also a trainer and smelled of horses 24/7. She went on to be a great working dog for him and was even bred several times. I think people just fail to understand how smart and insightful heelers really are....

previous owner of our place had a pair of Heelers.. the male was territorial.. I was 11, and that dog "told" me not to cross that garden hose.. I listened to him! I think he was a good dog for what was needed though, I think they're my favourite kind of dog.. a bit rough and not needy like collies

Well... I went to the shelter and met "Dag" this afternoon. He is pretty, I feel bad for him, but he's not a good fit. I spent 45minutes with him and his handler. Dag never stopped barking, never showed any sign of letting his guard down, and made it clear that I wasn't supposed to be in his area.
After ten minutes the handler told me that he had never been around men.
Add to the mix that I had just walked through the feed lot and my cowboy boots smelled like cattle. I'm sure he had never smelled that before. Any time I moved back away from his comfort zone he would go to were I had been standing and smell like crazy.
So I guess I'm back to looking.

I admire your desire to go the rescue route but it has its drawbacks as you've discovered. With a few exceptions rescues often as not are damaged goods and require extensive energy to rehabilitate. Finding a knowable & respectable breeder is likely a better route.

76 Bar said:
I admire your desire to go the rescue route but it has its drawbacks as you've discovered. With a few exceptions rescues often as not are damaged goods and require extensive energy to rehabilitate. Finding a knowable & respectable breeder is likely a better route.

Thank you. Yes I agree rescues are special. I'm just starting to look for a new Heeler. I heard about this one from my vet. He was close to home, so I figured I could take a couple hrs and go see what he was about.

76 Bar said:
Curious...no experience with Cattle dogs...do they have disposition issues?

I'm no expert or a breeder of them but have had several Heelers and Border Collies. Cattle dogs are highly intelligent to the point of amazing and that can be a double edge sword coupled with the fact that Heeler especially are strong personalities with a drive to work, They are learning and picking up even we don't realize it. They can be territorial and possessive . They are not for the faint of heart that want an always agreeable lay around all day and let just anyone into their territory. We really like heelers.

See if you can test the dog out a day or so. See if the dog like your place , how the dog acts, if you like the grumpy dog, etc. Maybe the dog isn't grumpy as all, maybe he didn't like his owners. 😉🤣 dang i feel asleep. 😅😴

On the subject of Cattle Dogs...anyone familiar with the original imports? The DVM who got me started with Karrawara working Kelpies initially was enamored with Cattle Dogs. He imported a number from long established CD working lines. They were leggy tall dogs, had some heading ability and weren't remotely similar to the current concept of AKC Cattle Dogs. Had pics of his imports but lost them in a house fire years ago.

SBMF 2015 said:

Be lucky if even the softest breed did not bite if you grabbed a leg out of nowhere......having dogs is like sheep or cattle, it takes some time and experience to know what is likely, so they just placed the dog at the wrong place...

76 Bar said:
Curious...no experience with Cattle dogs...do they have disposition issues?

Cattle dogs are sort of like English Staffies, they are loyal, built for a purpose, protective of owners and those they know.....

Anyone they do not know, they are prob not nasty, but they will keep strangers at bay and will bite if they persist, they protect property, good watch dogs, they do need exercise, they are tough.....

I guess like most dogs, if treated poorly, they could be a real basket case, but if brought up in a good env, prob hard to go wrong, although, they do not all learn exactly what to do with stock.....but that is with all of that type of dog.

In suburbia they can be a pain, will chase cars, postmen, anything that runs, but again, that is not their fault really.

Well he's not a blue Heeler, but Maxx is the newest addition to the farm crew.
He originated in Oregon, his people moved to an Illinois apartment and realized they couldn't take care of him. He is supposed to be a 6 mos old Aussie shepherd.

76 Bar said:

I have rescued six adult dogs. Two were awesome, the other four not so much. Had to put one down due to mental illness.

Puppies or young dogs are a safer bet. We are 100% with them.

Latest posts