Bloody Stool

Help Support CattleToday:

ginnyb

Reaction score
Have a 14 month old club calf that has blood in his stool for the last 2 1/2 days. He has been wormed within the last 6 months and I see no sign of parasites in his stool. Initially there was very little blood, but yesterday and this morning there was significant puddles. This morning he was off his feed. He's our 1st 4H steer and our project leader hasn't been much help. Suggestions welcomed.

Bright red blood or dark/black?

Stool sample to your vet, check for coccidiosis.

If that's negative, then you'd better talk to your vet because the first thing that comes to mind if it's not coccidiosis is... HBS (hemmoragic -sp?- bowel syndrome). Caused by one of the clostridials - when was he last vaccinated, and for what? - and it doesn't have a good prognosis.

Thanks for the replies. The blood is bright rather than dark. We don't have any large animal vets within 100 miles other than horse - just love living in the SF Bay area. But, I will be seeing our equine vet tomorrow. I'll get a sample to him for lab work. Ginger

ginnyb":194zynux said:
Thanks for the replies. The blood is bright rather than dark. We don't have any large animal vets within 100 miles other than horse - just love living in the SF Bay area. But, I will be seeing our equine vet tomorrow. I'll get a sample to him for lab work. Ginger

In the meantime, insert a magnet and dose him with a sachet or two of bicarbonate of soda, while waiting for the results, it won't do any harm, but might just do the world of good.

Latest posts