bloody scours in calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jfgamebirds

Reaction score
Hello
I have a 10 day old royal yak calf hefier that we have been bucket feeding raw cows milk mixed with 40% goat. she has been nibbleing at seed heads on the grass in her pen and drinking around a gallon of milk a day. Today she came up with the scours ( runny feces) that had some blood in them by this afternoon she dropped one that was primarily blood. I have injectable oxytet (maxim 200) and tylan 200 here. What may be causeing this and are either of my on hand meds usfull in treating this? thank you in advance for any help. chris

My vet gave my calf Baytril, Polyserum (pure antibodies) and a sulfa bolus. Time is of the essence, don't wait.

Time is definitely of the essence. Around here it's hard to get a vet out to see a baby calf. Scoop up the scour mess and take it to the vet for a culture or a test on it and have the vet tell you if an antibiotic and/or corid is called for.

In the meantime, keep giving that baby it's milk replacer and supplement with bottles of electrolytes. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance kill the calf...scours don't. AND, withholding milk will starve the calf down until nothing is going to help it.

Alice

It sounds like enteroxemia to me. I'd give it some C & D Antitoxin and probios but call a vet and see what they think.

I would give the calf 6 cc's of Nuflor, or 10 ccs of Excenel, and put it on Deliver a medicated powder to mix with water, 2 feeding of this straight, no milk, then 2 with milk, should fix the diarrhea right up, helps prevent dehydration also. If the calf is already dehydrated put it on electolytes, such as resorb, to be given 3-6 times a day, and if it stops drinking via a bottle you will have to tube it.

Good luck.

GMN

Well, there's quite a selection to choose from!
Is the calf running a fever? Is it eating/drinking?
I would take Alice's suggestion & have the manure checked by a vet.
Bloody scours is "usually" an indication of Coccidiosis, but once a calf starts scouring from any "cause" it can start having blood mixed in from the irratation.
It could be viral, bacterial, over-eating, etc.
Absolutely the most important thing is DEHYDRATION. You can pick up electrolites at your local Tractor Supply or similar farm store.

Latest posts