Blood Test - For Pregnancy Check?

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I understand there is a Company in OK that can take a sample of blood that was drawn from a cow/heifer and determine if she is bred, as well as how far along she may be.
Does anyone have information on this procedure?
Is there a website?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
UncleLA

I dont know if there is such a blood test for cows but there is one for horses. But it can not tell how far along it is bred.

Where can you purchase the supplies (vacutainer, needles, etc.)? I notice the link on the biotracking website states "licensed to sell to registered professionals and industrial consumers only."

Conagher":2t04s4t1 said:
Where can you purchase the supplies (vacutainer, needles, etc.)? I notice the link on the biotracking website states "licensed to sell to registered professionals and industrial consumers only."

they will sell you a kit for 10 animals. most medical supply companies will have everything you need.

Conagher":3tku7fho said:

Here is where I get my supplies from. Seems to be the cheepest however you need to use a needle a syrenge unless you can find the vacutainer/needle adapters. I got mine from a horse vet. Problem with the adapters is if you accidently miss and you have to pull out you loose the vacume in the container.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-loca ... 1179655990

http://www.QCsupply.com also sells some products.
Hope this helps. I love this blood test. It is cheeper than a vet and more accurate. My vet is a grump and is a pain to get out here. He also is in such a hurry that his accuracy is horrible. There isn't any other choice other than hauling to UC davis and that isn't affordable.
Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask for anymore info.
Double R

I just took blood samples over yesterday to them, I work about 8 miles away from their lab. No, they can't tell how far along the cow is, but it was developed for diaries who AI. I only have a few cows and it doesn't pay to run a bull so I AI. I'll get the test results emailed back today and then I can haul my cows to pasture.

Bobg

I called biotracking - they sent me the supplies to test up to 10 cows for $15 it includes running the tests. They can only tell you if they are pregnant but not how far along. You can have results mailed, faxed, or emailed to you - takes 1 to 2 days for the results.

I got some supplies from the local vet office. I noticed biotracking had partner labs so I sent my samples to TVMDL. Some confusion on getting the results (mail vs. email) but I finally got the results. Not in the 27 hrs. advertised but in time to start my re-sync activities. Couple of interesting items: One cow showed pregnant on the test results but I observed her in heat the day before the results showed up. Another one showed test results that were "inconclusive" so I went ahead and re-sync'ed her. We'll see how it turns out.

BioTracking is the company I use and the cow must be atleast 30 days bred before they can test positive for preg.

I just got my results back 2 weeks ago, they only can give you a PREG or OPEN. If you know when they were bred then you should have a good idea anyway of the length, this is a great tool for someone doing AI.

Here is a list of items you will need:

Air-Tite Products Co., Inc. has supplied syringes, hypodermic needles and related supplies to veterinary, human health and industrial professionals since 1926.
PURCHASE: Part Numbers: 1) NBT, 3 to 5 Needle Holder, 2) BD366668, 100, Red topped tubes, 3) NBC 181, 100 Needles, 18 gauge by 1 inch

and the link to their site, the supplies with shipping will run around $40.00 and it is enough for 100 samples if you don't waste any items.

http://www.air-tite.com/

the red top tubes are good for about 2 years, that was what they told me.

I mailed my sample via express mail (2-3 days and the results were back to me the day after they received the samples. I got a fax and email results and they called me a few days later and asked what I thought about their service.

so far so good

How far along do they have to be for them to tell. I need to get some cows checked, could someone PM me with more details. Thanks

oakcreekfarms":2ywnjc1c said:
How far along do they have to be for them to tell. I need to get some cows checked, could someone PM me with more details. Thanks

OC,,,read my post above yours, they need to be a minimum of 30 days bred for the test to work, 45 days is safer.

C HOLLAND":2hezk15i said:
oakcreekfarms":2hezk15i said:

OC,,,read my post above yours, they need to be a minimum of 30 days bred for the test to work, 45 days is safer.

AND "The lactating cow also must be 90 days after calving to remove residual PSPB of the previous pregnancy from the circulation"

Conagher":1apqvjom said:
AND "The lactating cow also must be 90 days after calving to remove residual PSPB of the previous pregnancy from the circulation"

True, that is why I wait 60 days after calving to AI or turn in with the bull, and then I wait about 45 days to pull the blood sample.

Latest posts