blood in manure

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I bought a bred heifer from the sale last week, and noticed a little blood in her manure today. Everything else looks fine. Any thoughts, maybe from being palpated recently, stress, something else?

If it was from being palpated a week ago it would be dark and wouldn;t be seen among the manure. Coccidiosis is also what come to mind. Or if her manure is really stiff/hard it could be that too.

Most likely bleeding is from a minor hemorrhage in the intestinal tract from who knows what.
Coccidiosis is a possibility, but I would expect diarrhea too rather than just blood alone.

Outside chance she is a salmonella carrier. Clinical signs of fever and diarrhea usually in calves under 12 weeks of age.
Carriers don't show clinical signs, but might have blood in stool for 2 or 3 days when under stress.
Salmonella can cause abortions, and carriers spread it in their manure aided by mice, rats, pigeons ect.

I'm not saying it's salmonella, more common in dairy calves, just thought I'd give you something to worry about. :tiphat:
If she continues to have blood in her stool, I'd treat with penicillin for 3-4 days.

Coccidioia is caused from parasites and can be transferred to humans from undercooked meat. For this reason I do not go a day without taking food grade diatomasious earth. Would not know how to get a cow to eat it but maybe sprinkle on cake occasionally. Antibiotics might help if salmonella but also sulfur block as sulfur kills virus and bacteria.