Blood in Fecal Matter

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I was just out on a lot where we have some feeder cattle and I noticed blood in some of the manure. I'm wondering what this might be and could use any help. Nothing else seems to be wrong, they're all eating fine and I haven't noticed any cattle lagging behind when coming to the bunk for feed. :help:

Could be coccidia (weanlings?). Any visible diarrhea? I just finished (hopefully) dealing with this with three weanlings. You might want to take a fecal sample to the vet for testing.

Someone else might have other ideas for you.

Or could be a high parasite load. Its not uncommon to see blood in manure after worming. Those worms leave a sore in the gi tracts and rumen when they die off. Enough sores will cause visable blood in the manure.

Gale Seddon":q29ad91q said:
Could be coccidia (weanlings?). Any visible diarrhea? I just finished (hopefully) dealing with this with three weanlings. You might want to take a fecal sample to the vet for testing.

Someone else might have other ideas for you.
I'm worried that it could be coccidia, hoping it's not. I looked around some more and found some manure with blood in it, some was green and watery with blood in it. So yes there's diarrhea. They've all been weaned for over 60 days. I looked around on the butts to see which one(s) might be pooping out blood and I didn't see any crusted or running blood on any behinds. We'll see what happens. Almost forgot the runny poop with blood in it smells pretty rank.

The odor would lead me to believe there's something else going on, but not sure what. I would take a fecal sample to the vet or your state lab.

Latest posts