bloated calves: need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

sparky1

Reaction score
Brought home 25 - 400 lb calves yesterday gave them hay and water. Some really acted starved. today 2 of them look bloated with 1 looking real bloated. You think they over did it first day or did i get a coulple Cronics. What can i do for them?

bloat is not something to delay in treating. If you have no bloat eze or what larry said, mineral oil and baking soda work real well. Put in the chute and use a drench bag. If no bag get it down one way or another...now

On page 2 of this board there is a thread titled Calf with Bloat. Its about half way down the page. It is 2 pages long. There are lots of good ideas on it, including what has already been mention by Larry and RRC. Take a look at it.
Good Luck!

angie2":2zpyw0mg said:
On page 2 of this board there is a thread titled Calf with Bloat. Its about half way down the page. It is 2 pages long. There are lots of good ideas on it, including what has already been mention by Larry and RRC. Take a look at it.
Good Luck!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Chronic or not...do not delay...

Alice

Well now, wait a minute. Are they truely bloated or just full? there is a difference. They could just be really filled up with the hay. Is the fullness way up high on one side, or just full all over?

Ok , calf is bloated all over but really humped up on left side. Gave him therabloat and helped a little how soon can I give him another drenchin. Been this way over two days.

now would be the time to call the vet.

our (Canadian brand) bloat eze stuff can be given every two hours. mineral oil and baking soda works well too.
bloat, unless treated right away tends to get messy if you know what i mean. So something else is going on too.

husband says something else is going on. He says if it is just bloat and he,the calf, laid down it would be dead in a few hours.
Other things
absess
impact in the gut
could need a kick start for the rumen. Rummensin boluses or baking soda, or a vet

There's also a bagged product called "Bloat Guard".. I believe it's a Purina product that works well for "chronic" bloaters. You'll need to top dress their feed daily.

If it is bloat , the fastest way to get it down is to put a rubber hose down his throat into his stomach and let the gas out , you can see the bloat go down. some people use knife and stick them in the side but that's a little too drastic for me.

Checked this evening and right side looks pretty good but left still up high but not as bad. Went ahead and drenched him with one more therabloat and also gave him mineral oil. will see later tonite how it works. thanks for all the input it really helps

Latest posts