BLOAT???

Help Support CattleToday:

Southerngal

Reaction score
We have a heifer in the barn that is on the same feed as everyone else and she bloats everytime we feed. Its not bad enough to hurt her i dont think and its not frothy just wondering if anyone has any ideas. we tried the oil on her feed and that just gave her the scours, probois we have tried. what should we try next?

How big is she? You can use Baking Soda mixed with her feed and it will help control bloat. You feed so many tablespoons depending on size.

i have many metheds to control what ever happens to a calf...there are many different ways....one is tie your calf up and pour liquid laundry soap down there throwt...and then
walk them around for about an 30 minutes and it will go down, after that get the powder and mix it in there feed...but not enough where they can smell it enought where they wont eat it.

Good grief.. there sure has been some interesting advice on this Board lately!

Laundry soap? Surely you're joking? That's a wonderful way to get your calf to trust you.. pour liquid soap down it's throat! :mad:

I've got a better idea.. buy a bag of "Bloat Guard" at the feed store, and top dress your calve's feed with it. Works wonders, and you can use your soap to wash your clothes.

TheBullLady":1ifcnwgn said:
Laundry soap? Surely you're joking? That's a wonderful way to get your calf to trust you.. pour liquid soap down it's throat! :mad:

I've had a teacher saw a nose ring through a steers nose cause the hole didn't go quite through. Lots of mooing and lots of blood... (and i fained... :roll: ) but he was the most caring and loving animal out of all our steers.

Doesn't sound nice but who hasn't had they're mouth washed out with soap before?

We had a steer who kept on bloating to the point he was almost skin and bones cause he couldn't put on weight. That came about by him having an infection in in his hoof cause it was cracked. But you mentioned nothing was wrong with her so i don't know.

Yeap we start ours out with bloat guard, it's only like 3 to 4 oz per head added in their feed. Used to could buy bloat blocks, but when I asked a year or so ago about those, they said they couldnt get them here....but could get the bloat guard that you add to feed. Also helps to keep down stress when your moving show cattle alot. We start em out on it, usually go ahead and feed it in their feed until we run out (feed 5 heifers) then continue on with feeding until show time. About 2 weeks before show we start adding it again, knowing that they will be shuffled thru the sale barn for palpation and weighing, then back in trailer to the fair grounds, into their alotted pens then moved again when the buyer takes em home. Just one more thing we can do to make things easier. #50 bag lasts for a long time and only costs around $20. Well worth it to not have to worry about somethin bloatin on ya.

We have a heifer in the barn that is on the same feed as everyone else and she bloats everytime we feed. Its not bad enough to hurt her i dont think and its not frothy just wondering if anyone has any ideas. we tried the oil on her feed and that just gave her the scours, probois we have tried. what should we try next?

Therabloat (liquid drench) and/or Sweetlix Bloat Guard (block).

We had one bloat a few years back, before we started usin the bloat guard top dress.....vet gave us therabloat....to drench with...didn't help at all. If anything she got bigger and died shortly there after

Try the bloat guard, anf if you still have problems, you have a chronic bloater. Sell her and let someone else have the headache.

I have had several animals bloat. Most of the time, it was my fault, not introducing new feed slowly, or over feeding grain.
I have on heifer that bloats at the blink of an eye. I have started her on Bloat Guard. I scrape a little into the morning and evening feeding of calf manna. It seems to have taken care of her problem
All the other bloats, because all my cattle are handled everyday, I slip 3 or 4 GASX and 2 or 4 rolaids into the mouth. In about 1/2 hour, all is well. My cattle are so tame that forcing them to walk for 1/2 or so doesn't work. They just stand there. The GASX and ROLAIDS do the trick.

Latest posts