Bloat!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

thanx colorado, he seems to be doing fine but the bloat just never tottally went down but it hasn't got worse by any means now thanks for the info about the 4-7 days for the rumen to get used to feed i'll remember that :)

showkid1200":foifcljk said:
thanx colorado, he seems to be doing fine but the bloat just never tottally went down but it hasn't got worse by any means now thanks for the info about the 4-7 days for the rumen to get used to feed i'll remember that :)

I'm not recommending this, but I am gonna throw this out here.

A while back a board member was struggling with bloat in one of her animals. The vet told her to try tums/rolaids...a big bunch of them. She said it worked and she'll do it again.

I've never tried it, but I'll not be adverse to trying it if the need arises.

Alice

showkid1200":5tbz3fpk said:
okay cowboy but what i'm trying to tell you is that i never treated him for bloat so how do you know he is a chronic bloater? we never used any type of bloat drench or any type of oil or anything

You don't have to have treated a calf for bloat for him to be a chronic bloater.

Coke bottle does work for drenching -- we had several ketotic fresh cows this spring that needed Propylene Glycol daily -- coke bottle may get crushed but it bounces back very easily. :lol: Never needed to replace it.

Alternately, a length of PVC pipe (12" long) and a calf drenching bottle does the trick too. PVC pipe is so the tube on the bottle stays intact. :p

I think it would be best to get the vet out or take him in. He will tube him and give mineral oil and probably therabloat. I really think at this point to try to head off any more problems this would be the best way to go. The first time that he bloated other then taking him off of grain what did you do for him? Have you before he bloated the first time changed anything in his diet? What type of hay are you feeding? We only feed a really stemmy hay (timothy) feeding a brome (wide blade) seemed to cause us problems.

For your steer and for the integrity of you and the project I really once again think that you should at the very least talk to your vet.

Good luck.

If your steer is acting like he is in pain get a vet ASAP. What we do for bloat is walk and walk him. Make sure he is going the bathroom. Increase his hay intake or turn him out on grass with no feed. I have used mineral oil, i just mix some with a small amount of feed and that seems to take care of it.
Where in Florida are you?

Good luck,
Chris

yes i'm in florida last night got a drench gun and gave him about 300cc of mineral oil cured the problem. But what should i do after it goes down start him back on grain but slowly or give him a break with some hay for a few days?

showkid1200":1uucb3sc said:
yes i'm in florida last night got a drench gun and gave him about 300cc of mineral oil cured the problem. But what should i do after it goes down start him back on grain but slowly or give him a break with some hay for a few days?

Hay...hay...hay

Alice

alright well we checked him this morning and he was fine but after we fed him his left side gets a little big but 10 minute later goes down. Same thing happened tonight fed him left side got bigger 10 minutes later went down is this normal? It didn't really even swell up enough to be called bloat really

Honestly, I don't know what it takes for show calves to keep them on the program...but I do know with one of our calves who bloated periodically, we cut him off feed for a few days and hayed the crap outta him. Just my 2 cents.

Alice

yeah we tried that already you came in the post kinda late but he seems to be doing fine i just wanna know if that normal for there side to get a little big and then go down after they eat?

Acco is good in our area. Different areas have feeds that work well to. :p As you can see, Cowboy is quite the advocate for Acco. I can't say I don't agree with him, though.

sound sgood yeah know i don't see why they wouldn't try to branch out and maybe go to florida is it a big corporation or just a small feed business

showkid1200":32azn9f6 said:
yeah we tried that already you came in the post kinda late but he seems to be doing fine i just wanna know if that normal for there side to get a little big and then go down after they eat?

Yes -- to a certain extent. The rumen lies on the left side and so when it is full - aka they've eaten - they will be a little fuller looking on that side.

tahnk you milkmaid i don't mind talkin about acco but i neede an answer :lol: i will try to keep you guys(and gals) updated on how he's doing and i can't express enough gratitude for your
guys tips and opinions

showkid1200":fl2yzk39 said:
sound sgood yeah know i don't see why they wouldn't try to branch out and maybe go to florida is it a big corporation or just a small feed business
ACCO owned by Cargill, same company that owns Nutrena.

yeah we have fed alot of different feeds to all are cattle but i really like Nutrena because down here alot of are feed companies don't actually have a cattle feed they use the horse feed flushing and add whatever else they have to get the protein. Nutrena is actually made for show cattle down here.

Latest posts