blm mustang

Help Support CattleToday:

pineypuncher

Reaction score
howdy all i was lookin fer some ideas on how i can trim my three mustangs feet with out loseing my knee again. i had surgury on it and now the people that took care of my horses why i was laid up didn't trim them so starting from ground zero again with them. knee isnt heeled but need it done and i'm the one thats doing it.

Short of lots of training, desensitization, a tranquilizer is about only safe way. However, horses don't "learn" while they are tranquilized and they may resent the process more the next time. Restraining the leg(s) can also work; however, again they don't learn much (except abuse) and can injure themselves in the process.

If hoofs are seriously in need of trimming to prevent further foot problems, then taking to Vet and putting in a stock and sedated may be the only safe (horse & trimmer) option.

thats it and i dont beleive in druging a horse fer doing their feet. and my mustangs are five yrs of age. and i have been laid up fer six months so now i am finally getting their trust back.i just cant bend on the ground to do them like i use to them.

Sounds like you need to invent a stall sized emery board and let them do there own feet.You sure are keen to go back for round 2.Have fun, let us know how you go.Also we used to put a draught horse collar on the difficult ones with a quick release pulley system which had a well padded loop end which you place around a hind pastern and lift it up off the ground a little. You then do the other feet, not the lifted one,it never seemed to upset them much if you do it calmly.

Latest posts