Extreme Mustang Mission 007 results update

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
My youngest daughter (15 years old) is participating in the Mustang Makeover Mission 007: Yearling Edition. It is 2 1/2 weeks until we take her and her mustang filly, Sonnet, to Fort Worth for the competition.

I've owned horses since I was a kid (I am 54), and over the years I have never met a horse like this little mustang. The bond and trust that she has in our daughter is amazing.

I'd like to share her journal with you.

http://voskampfarm.smugmug.com/gallery/5010470_pGZUN/1

345728047_8st9T-S.jpg

***** UPDATE 0/20/08*****

It was good. There were 97 (98?) youth yearlings entered. I'm not sure exactly how many showed up to compete, but it sure was a long day.

Dot came in second in the Conditioning / In Hand Trail Course competition. She really had a smooth run. That qualified her for the Freestyle Finals where she placed 7th out of 11.

After taking so many pictures at home of her and Sonnet, I didn't get any pictures of the show. The show and finals were filmed, so I will be able to get her performance on DVD :D

While watching the adult and youth competitions, I realized what good minds the mustang has. They are intelligent and extremely trainable. It is really amazing when you consider they have only been handled for a little over 100 days. I admit that I never had the best opinion about mustangs, however this experience has changed my mind. If you are experience with horses are are in a situation that your horse needs does not require a registered horse, you should consider a mustang. The overall quality of the horses here is extremely good and many look like registered quarter horses, although there are a couple that exhibit draft blood and are pretty good size.

We are tired, happy and I am extemely proud of my daughter.

I didn't know you could do the mustang makeover that young or I would have done it when I had the chance. That's something I would love to do. There's no way with our set up they would let us have one though.

They look good already. You must've got a winner. Why not post some pictures of their training, grooming, etc. process and progress?

This is the first year for the Yearling Makeover which allows youth competitors. This is the second year for The Extreme Mustang Makeover Competition which involves 3 to 4 year old horses, 100 horses trained in 100 days. My daughters and I went to the competition last year and had a wonderful time.

When we learned about the Yearling Competition, my daughter decided to go for it. :D

If you click this link: http://voskampfarm.smugmug.com/gallery/5010470_pGZUN/1
it will take you to her photo journal at smugmug and you can see the transition from wild to tame.

Thank you for your comments.
happy.gif

Wow, she's really grown through the time you've had her. Funny how the horse you were taking pictures of at the yard turned out to be her!

What happens after the competition? Are you allowed to take video there? I subscribed to yours by the way- it would be neat to see on video how they do. :)

Great job with her!

Good luck to your daughter! This is a great experience. My trainer is participating, in both the yearling and the "older" riding Mustang Makeover..unfortunantly though, his older mustang developed a problem sweating down here, so he had to be returned and it was to late to get a new one.

Thanks!
Spinandslide, are you coming to watch the makeover? Can I ask who your trainer is? You can PM me if you like. It is pretty neat. I have several friends who are doing the yearling thing. We are looking forward to the competition.

It is only 12 days to Show time, and 10 days before we move in.

My husband mowed the front for us and we were able to set out some obstacles.

the bridge

367906170_Cpv8k-M.jpg

367906956_KYDNT-M.jpg

walking to the box

367905123_REBWq-M.jpg

working on pivoting in the box

367904107_uEVNo-M.jpg

watching the neighbors cows

367908385_Vqjc6-M.jpg

and I like this one because the Sun was setting and Sally the Cat came out to see what was going on

367908940_cKypV-M.jpg

Our major excitement for the day was not the horse seeing new things, but my husband deciding to mow the front yard with the tractor and hanging a hose in the shredder. He ripped out the water pipe going into the house. Four hours later we had water in the house again.
tongue.gif

Chippie

Probably not, my September is packed every weekend. my trainer is Roger Barral..curious though, hes in Sweden right now..I thought he wasnt going to be back for 2 weeks..Mabey because hes a professional, he goes after your daughter? ????

Loved the photos! Glad to know my cat isnt the only one who likes to come and "see" whats going on when Ive got my horses out! :)

Sarah

wow..hope hes back in time..:(

Yes, reining is very big. He sold a clients horse to some people in Sweden and hes gone over there afew times to show and give clinics.

Best of luck to your daughter..what a great experience for her!

OOOOOH,how I wish I could have done that when I was her age!! Good luck to all

OOPS!
embarrassed.gif
I lost my signal before I could finish my update.

We leave tomorrow morning for Fort Worth. Several Internet friends from another board have Makeover Mustangs and we'll be sharing a tack stall. It ought to be fun. I've known them for a couple of years and will finally get to meet them in person.

Anyhow, we decided which trailer to take and practiced loading Sonnet into it and taking her for a ride. We chose our four horse gooseneck because it pulls easily and has a place to haul the showbox, feed and hay. The video shows her loading well, but actually she did not want to get into the trailer. Once she figured that it was OK, and that she had to do what she was told, she stepped right in. I think that it is because it is similar to the livestock trailer she was hauled from Nevada to Texas in.

Here she is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bcb8byZUQ

Chippie, thanks for sharing the blog and Sonnet's journey with us. Looks to me like ya'll got a great filly out of the deal and a wonderful experience. I sure hope that Sonnet and Dot have a long and happy future together.

What a wonderful story! Thanks for the update. I heard the Mustangs didnt sell well though. Sad. But with the economy I guess that is expected. I would love to own one someday. I have read the same thing you say, they are very loyal, willing and quick to learn.

Congrats on the great job! I'm just a little disappoint there are no pictures or video :cry2: but that's ok! I'm sure it was a wonderful experience watching the teamwork in the ring.

We had a couple guys here that did the EMM and Sept. 13 at our rodeo grounds they had them demonstrating things with them. While at the warm up arena I looked down the hill to the main arena to what looked like them jumping through fire rings :eek: I wonder if their horses sold. I got pictures of one horse after they were done and the little kids were all over the horse. It's with my video camera, so they didn't come out totally awesome, not to mention it was almost dark out.

Did you end up keeping Sonnet? I bet she'd be a great riding horse.

EDIT: Did you see these two there?

IMGA0375.jpg

IMGA0368.jpg

IMGA0371.jpg

My neighbor came in third, I think. He was the one that loaded his mustang in the back of his pickup in the freestyle. Pretty gutsy, to say the least.....

Jim62":c15r4tk1 said:
My neighbor came in third, I think. He was the one that loaded his mustang in the back of his pickup in the freestyle. Pretty gutsy, to say the least.....

I would've liked to see that :lol2:

Latest posts