Update on the Mare...

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
Finally had the chance to work the mare this past weekend.

Found a nice couple to give her filly to, and got her gone.

Started her on a lunge line under saddle on Saturday afternoon. She did surprisingly well considering, she hasn't been messed with in a few years. So well in fact that I rode her for about a half an hour.

Got up on Sunday morning and repeated the process. Didn't want to overtax her, as her feet need attention, and the farrier wasn't due to come till later this week.

I don't know who's the sorest from the weekend. Me or her???? :D

flaboy

Reaction score
warpaint":27syyuqv said:
Finally had the chance to work the mare this past weekend.

Found a nice couple to give her filly to, and got her gone.

Started her on a lunge line under saddle on Saturday afternoon. She did surprisingly well considering, she hasn't been messed with in a few years. So well in fact that I rode her for about a half an hour.

Got up on Sunday morning and repeated the process. Didn't want to overtax her, as her feet need attention, and the farrier wasn't due to come till later this week.

I don't know who's the sorest from the weekend. Me or her???? :D

I know that feeling WP. When I got back into horses after a long layoff it took me a few rides to everything stretched out and broken back in. It will pass. :D

OP
warpaint

warpaint

Reaction score
flaboy":1u9dqfoy said:
How is she doing now?

Not too bad. She has some bad habits, but we are workin thru them. One of her favorite things is to try and bite me when I tighten the cinch.

Either she will learn better or lose all her teeth. :cowboy:

flaboy

Reaction score
warpaint":2nwbqt4p said:
flaboy":2nwbqt4p said:
How is she doing now?

Not too bad. She has some bad habits, but we are workin thru them. One of her favorite things is to try and bite me when I tighten the cinch.

Either she will learn better or lose all her teeth. :cowboy:

Wire brush to the nose usually works. You can also tape it to the back of your arm. When she reaches you can just bump her with the back of your elbow.

I have seen some pretty aggressive biters. Had one at my trainer buddies place and I asked him about it and he acted like it was no big deal. After visiting him about 4 times in one month the old mean gelding wouldn't stick his nose out his stall when I was around. :D