The New Mustang

Help Support CattleToday:

ffscj

Reaction score
My wife's new mustang Whiskey River, 4 yo gelding from the Nevada rangeland.

Whiskey_River_001.jpg

Whiskey_River_006.jpg

Chris

ALACOWMAN":1gwwavnf said:
one thing that sticks out is the feet look tough as iron. probably make a good using horse

First thing I noticed about him too. :shock:

He is also a neat color, good for your wife. Is she going to train him?

Yeah, we got him from the BLM. Brought him home July 3rd. She just started working him seriously this past week and has gotten where she can work her way up to him and rub from his nose to his star. Still pretty skittish but seems to have a level head and attitude. She's gonna work him and get some help from friends who know quite a bit.

His feet appear to be pretty good but a little long in the toe right now. Gonna need them feet around here. Hardest ground I've ever seen and rocky too.

I think he's prettier than the pictures show. He got the dorsal stripe and a little striping on his legs. And he moves real nice.

Chris

I like him alot. I have heard from many people that if you have the horse savy and paitience to get on broke that make a nice ride. I have had one mustang (not blm) you couldn't kill that thing and he was as smart as could be ( Probably a little to smart actually), and it didn't take long for him to figure out a habit wether it was good or not. Thanks kaneranch

You know you can get the BLM horses green broke at McCalister. I forgot the actual price, but it wasnt very high comparetively

3MR":11yj7h4t said:
You know you can get the BLM horses green broke at McCalister. I forgot the actual price, but it wasnt very high comparetively

Wife wants to train this one herself. We talked about getting another in the future and have it trained through the system. Didn't realize it was at McAlester. It it done at the prison?

Chris

ffscj":xivgq6qp said:
3MR":xivgq6qp said:

Wife wants to train this one herself. We talked about getting another in the future and have it trained through the system. Didn't realize it was at McAlester. It it done at the prison?

Chris

Yup, The prisoners do it.

3MR":2wxdhoux said:
ffscj":2wxdhoux said:
3MR":2wxdhoux said:

Chris

Do you know if the BLM sets it up or can you contact the prison directly? Do they only do BLM horses or do they take in those of private individuals??

Chris

ffscj":26dyb6lv said:
3MR":26dyb6lv said:
ffscj":26dyb6lv said:
3MR":26dyb6lv said:

Chris

Do you know if the BLM sets it up or can you contact the prison directly? Do they only do BLM horses or do they take in those of private individuals??

Chris

Im almost positive they have to be BLM adoptions. Its called the Inmate Training Program" and you apply through the BLM field station in Pauls Valley. Google "BLM Oklahoma" and you will get their site with all the information.

3MR,

the only information I could find was about the training available at the prison in Helena but will investigate further. McAlester would be much closer. Thanks.

Chris

Give me a minute and I will find the link for it.

{update}

I looked on BLM site and could also only find the one for Helena. I was sure Mcalsiter did it as well, but I may have been wrong or they may not do it anymore. I did notice Helena siad it was 200 a month and I had thought Mcalsiter was 100 a month.

Sorry about the bogus information.

ffscj":1icfju8d said:
D.R.,

I think he's a little bigger that a true Cracker. He's 15.2 and when I think of a Cracker I think smaller but I could be wrong.

Chris

Pictures can be deceiving. I didn't think he would be 15.2. For my taste his feet are too big but that's just me.

flaboy-":3qqam1xx said:
ffscj":3qqam1xx said:
D.R.,

I think he's a little bigger that a true Cracker. He's 15.2 and when I think of a Cracker I think smaller but I could be wrong.

Chris

Pictures can be deceiving. I didn't think he would be 15.2. For my taste his feet are too big but that's just me.

flaboy,

his feet need a severe trimming as the toes are too long. His being in the corral is keeping him from wearing them down on his own. But can't get them trimmed until we get him where we can handle him more consistantly. We're working on that!

Chris

Looks nice a nice gelding!

He looks like he could put in a hard day's work for sure.

Good choice. I wonder if the feet analogy works with horses ;-)

cypressfarms":3boisrig said:
Looks nice a nice gelding!

He looks like he could put in a hard day's work for sure.

Good choice. I wonder if the feet analogy works with horses ;-)

Don't know but I'm not peeking :eek:

Chris

Latest posts