BLM Mustangs

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I am doing a report on BLM mustangs. Has any one every had one can you give me some info. Thanks Kaneranch

Well I am really looking for anything about them. I need to know why you have them, how you got them, ect. ect. I am not picky, just somewhere to get started. Thanks Kaneranch

If you google for 'BLM's Wild Mustang program', you will find quite a bit of information about it. It's basically a program that allows the wild horses and burros to be rounded up and sold at auction to prevent over-population, the horses starving to death, and being killed. There is more to it than that, but those are the basics.

if you want the inside story on BLM mustangs in America's ranching west. The ranchers in Nevada for the most part hate them, they eat to much they spread diseases they are ugly hammerheaded snaggletoothed inbred nags that ought to be shot. Which many are. They are used to practice hunting real game like deer or Elk. Antelope are viewed in a very similar way. The other thing you have to remember is that these horses aren't wild they are feral. I'm sure that there are some good ones somewhere. Try convincing a Nevada rancher of that. I always thought they would have some respect for them but i was wrong. Just for your information there are two very different stories to this situation and i sit in the middle. For now

Beef11":10hwktxv said:
if you want the inside story on BLM mustangs in America's ranching west. The ranchers in Nevada for the most part hate them, they eat to much they spread diseases they are ugly hammerheaded snaggletoothed inbred nags that ought to be shot. Which many are. They are used to practice hunting real game like deer or Elk. Antelope are viewed in a very similar way. The other thing you have to remember is that these horses aren't wild they are feral. I'm sure that there are some good ones somewhere. Try convincing a Nevada rancher of that. I always thought they would have some respect for them but i was wrong. Just for your information there are two very different stories to this situation and i sit in the middle. For now

there are not many mustangs in nevada anymore. there used to be tons of them, but they were getting killed on the highways and of course ranchers shooting them or people catching them illegally.

we bought our mustang thru a blm auction after round up. we bid on him and a few others. decent horse. he was around 3 when we got him.

i think it would be neat to have a herd of "wild" horses first thing i would do is cut all the stallions and sell them. THen i would buy a good stallion and let him run with them helping the gene pool get alittle deeper and have some quality running in the herd. They are to inbred as it is.

Just FYI, There are, in actuallity, hundreds upon hundreds of mustangs in Nevada. The shootings have been very exaggerated and the BLM is having to constantly round up bunches in an effort to keep numbers at an ecologically safe level.

Latest posts