Blizzard and Media

Help Support CattleToday:

Ah, so I am not the only one who is cynical! Big tick on the sociology degree.

I was also annoyed about media blabbing on about not having federal employees to report to rather than about the story of the farmers and cattle and the storm itself. It is the neighbours and other private citizens who are going to help out in a disaster, not the government.

And yes, the story is about the connection between a farmer and his stock. They are going to get tended to before anything else. As if one is even going to accurately know what stock losses are in a disaster like that until weeks later, or even months.
In those horrible photos I can see there are still a few (very few) live cattle stuck in those piles of dead ones that need saving ASAP. No time for having a wettie (Australian expression - means crying), just got to go and look after the welfare of the ones you have alive, everything else including yourself later. I can see the sorrow is in the pride the owners would have had in their quality cattle that were just dead in huge piles.

The financial crisis is going to happen up to a year later. It is as if the media want to think the government is important in a crisis like that, when it really is not in the early phases. I bet it is the locals getting together that gets things sorted out.

We had a bushfire burn out 2500 of 2700 acres last Jan with all the crisis you can imagine that involved, and spending days hunting down burnt black sheep in a burnt black landscape with the fires still going for two weeks after and 45 km of fencing burnt out. Just because stock are dead in a big pile does not mean there are not live ones in there and you have to go through he pile to deal with those. I could not have worked out how many stock we lost until we could muster and count, which was when we had fences again which was about 6 months later; only thanks to grey nomad (retired caravaners) volunteers who built fences for us. I have such an enormous debt to so many people I cant pay back. Bit of a strange feeling.

Ozhorse":153616h4 said:
In those horrible photos I can see there are still a few (very few) live cattle stuck in those piles of dead ones that need saving ASAP. No time for having a wettie (Australian expression - means crying), just got to go and look after the welfare of the ones you have alive,

Just because stock are dead in a big pile does not mean there are not live ones in there and you have to go through he pile to deal with those.
While I agree with you that the live ones need to be save ASAP, the issue is that it will take ages to get them out of the pile and with all deep snow will prevents most large machineries to have an access to the piles. Many of the cattle are out in the pasture and far away from the owners' house. There's no guarantee that the live ones will live to see another day. If you has lived in the areas with heavy snowfall and blizzards, you'd understand.

It is not until you have seen something happen that you understand it. People wonder why stock (and people) get burnt in fires (and think "stupid animals"), or how, and why they dont just go somewhere it is not going to burn. Folk who have not been in the middle of a wildfire dont get that with wind up toward 200 km per hour from the firestorm, dust so you cant open your eyes, nearly getting, or getting blown to the ground, smoke so you cant breathe plus heat, also you dont know where in advance the fire will go - also that it is not just one fire but comes through in waves from different directions over many hours.

I dont know about big snow storms. I guess I will get to learn one day as a previous owner lost all their flock in a mid-summer snow storm on this property in 1965. I got to loose 1/3 of the flock at the same time of year to a fire storm.

Ozhorse":1tp0gsjy said:
It is not until you have seen something happen that you understand it. People wonder why stock (and people) get burnt in fires (and think "stupid animals"), or how, and why they dont just go somewhere it is not going to burn. Folk who have not been in the middle of a wildfire dont get that with wind up toward 200 km per hour from the firestorm, dust so you cant open your eyes, nearly getting, or getting blown to the ground, smoke so you cant breathe plus heat, also you dont know where in advance the fire will go - also that it is not just one fire but comes through in waves from different directions over many hours.

I dont know about big snow storms. I guess I will get to learn one day as a previous owner lost all their flock in a mid-summer snow storm on this property in 1965. I got to loose 1/3 of the flock at the same time of year to a fire storm.
It's irrelevant to the blizzard. My point is that deep snow is making difficult for the ranchers to rescue the survivors which just happened to be 1,400lbs bovids and the barn could be miles away from where the cows are found along with deep snow that could prevent the machinery to reach to that spot where the animals are found. Get my point? I'm sure the survivors are rescued but the deep snow is making things more difficult for most ranchers so don't assuming that they don't care about their cows or have a wettie. :tiphat:

I think the farmers care about their stock before they look after themselves, and that they will go to extreme lengths to save the stock they have, or do the sometimes right thing by wading around piles of dead stinking bodies to find and shoot or save the ones left alive - just like we had to.

I know they dont have time to feel sorry for themselves when they have got their own and their neighbours stock to save and sort out and fences to fix and stock to feed ( and even sometimes reporters to tell to get lost because you dont have time and brain space to waste on them when there are more important things to do).

I get it that you cant save live ones because they will die without food and shelter, that cant be got to them anyway because the snow is so deep.

Any tips on blizzards? Once every 40 years or so we get blizzards here that trap the stock. I am told that up to 3 days they (sheep & cattle) are OK but longer than 4 days and we have to try to feed them (we dont usually keep hay here and the roads would be closed - snow ploughs dont exist here). I suppose we just have to take the losses.

Looked at the South Dakota State website for news and didn't find a lot. Looked for and found some news releases I would call understated. There were reminders to cattlemen to document their cattle losses, reminders to dispose of the carcasses and later releases waiving the disposal time. Found the Butte County website and didn't find any news releases or info at all, the website just isn't current. Found the Mead County website (nice by the way) and there are three news releases about the storm and damage on the 10th: one seeking contractors to assist with carcass removal; one about an authorization of $100,000 to assist with livestock carcass burial and one about tree and shrubbery drop off locations after the storm. There is a news release on the 7th about a special meeting scheduled for the 8th to implement a Disaster Declaration in response to the storm.

Then I found something called the South Dakota Animal Industry Board (aib.sd.gov) and a reference that data collection and news would be issued through this state government organization. There's not a lot there. The one thing that I did see documented on a Rapid City website was that FEMA monies won't cover livestock losses but may pay disposal costs. Livestock loss would possibly be covered by the Farm Bill but there is no Farm Bill at this time.

I'm a bit surprised there's not a running tally of losses but it may be this is going play out slowly over a couple of weeks as ranchers handle priorities first.

I expected something more from the state and county governments in the way of news releases. I'm wondering what it looked like in Colorado with the recent flooding. That story got a lot of national news and the story stuck around for a while.

Does your government enforce a legal requirement to dispose of carcasses? How much does it cost?
What are you supposed to to when the bodies get too runny to pick up?
Do you really need to pick them all up? I suppose what I am asking is -is this a real health issue or is it just another bunch of regulation and cost imposed for politically correct reasons?

It sounds like there's a 36 hour carcass disposal law in South Dakota. I'm sure there are stipulations as to how the carcass must be handled but I can't speak to any particulars. And I wouldn't be able to talk to the 'health issue' question either.

I keep on finding mention of the cattle deaths in Dakota on climate skeptical websites. This one is from the UK. The commenters are noting that there is little US media coverage.

http://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2013/10/ ... -blizzard/

I don't watch the TV news in Australia so I cant say if the blizzard made it to regular Australian TV coverage. It is unlikely that cold weather stories would make it to the evening TV news of the Australian Broadcasting Commission because they are shamelessly global warming supporters. The previous prime minister brought in a carbon tax that she promised she would not and also made a special payment of 10 mill to the ABC for no stated reason. Surprisingly the ABC always has plenty of good things to say about her. This and the rest of the dribble they put out are why I don't watch TV news.

I Googled ABC to find what they did cover and I can only find this:

This reporting is from (I think) ABC rural radio news so it is not mainstream. This is about the most in depth rural news to be had in Australia. Notice how the interviewer can't help herself trying to blame it on global warming. I love the answer she got and I am surprised the ABC put his reply on the website.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-11/s ... es/5016290

First heard it here.....I think NBC did a piece this evening...mostly local news is squakwing how the drought in the Austin area is now over since they areas had over 12 inches of rain the past couple days.....with more on the way.

Nebraska NPR ran a snippet this morning finally, emphasizing the estimated 78,000 dead animals and the disposal effort.

I don't think this storm hit the MSM for a few reasons. First off, 2 feet of snow in the Black Hills isn't all that unheard of. Secondly, the scale of the devastation to livestock wasn't immediately evident. The ranchers needed to dig themselves out and then begin searching for their stock. It took a couple days for the magnitude of the death losses to get totaled and by that time - the MSM had moved on to the next big story...not to mention most people don't have a grasp on what 78,000 head of cattle really means - what they are worth financially and how many people's lives are forever changed. It is simply a big number (this week's Market to Market report actually minimized the impact - it was only 5% of the S. Dakota cow herd - and shouldn't impact the beef market too significantly).

The ranchers impacted by this storm are in our prayers.

I'm not seeing much recent news and information. I keep going back to the South Dakota government web sites and find little. The web site http://www.aib.sd.gov which is suppose to be the web site for the organization in charge hasn't any new information or news releases beyond the initial ones immediately after the blizzard struck. I see a news release from October 7 and one from October 9.

I have seen two or three internet stories which are putting the expected death loss at under 20,000 with most recent counts being under 8,000. Apparently that information is coming out of the South Dakota Animal Board. Accounting for lost animals is still ongoing. Those losses are devastating for individual ranchers but overall just a blip on the national economy. If Western South Dakota has 1.5 million head of cattle how many would typically get culled in a year? Yes the storm was indiscriminate and not focused in culling, but the point is state herds will bounce back nicely.

I was visiting my daughter and grandsons in Iowa last weekend. She's not in ag in any way. At dinner she asked me about the cattle loss from the South Dakota blizzard. I was surprised. We talked about it a bit and I asked her where she'd heard about the blizzard and loss. She said someplace on the internet. I asked her about television news and she told me they don't watch television news. Or read newspapers.

I think we get news from a whole lot of places these days and traditional media are limited on how much time they can give any topic and what topics they can cover. Traditional media are profit making free enterprises in the business of selling advertising so unfortunately twerking wins over dead cows every day.

I think South Dakota did a lousy job of telling the story of the blizzard and cattle loss. News releases get picked up by wire services and wire services feed the traditional media. I see little evidence state government gave this the play which Cattle Today members seem to believe it deserved. In fact if there's a real reason this thing didn't get more play ... look right here. If the state government itself seems to be yawning and not worked up why should CBS or MSNBC or FOX or the AP find a compelling story in South Dakota.

I think Cattle Today members are sensitized to any event impacting cattle or cattle ranchers. We identify with the rancher who lost much, most or all of his herd. We internalize it, we personalize it and we want the ranchers anguish, our own by proxy, acknowledged on a national stage. When it doesn't happen to an extent we find satisfying, we blame this vague entity the national or mainstream media.

well, I think it comes down to the severity of the impact a disaster has on particular people, not necessarily how far-reaching the disaster actually is... when some people lose all their stock, that's hard to bounce back from, had the same losses been spread over entire SD, I think it could much more easily be absorbed

Dega Moo":12fy8rx6 said:
Those losses are devastating for individual ranchers but overall just a blip on the national economy. If Western South Dakota has 1.5 million head of cattle how many would typically get culled in a year? Yes the storm was indiscriminate and not focused in culling, but the point is state herds will bounce back nicely.
Without knowing where you are from, how common is it to cull your entire 400lb calf crop?

I think the point is there are plenty of replacements available in SD alone, and not what the impact any particular ranch is

Do you think this story would have made more news if exactly the same cattle on exactly the same farms had been killed by a heat wave or a fire?

Do you think it would have made more news if a similar number of shop keepers lost their shops?

Public servants - do you think lots of public servants losing their jobs and going bankrupt would have made the news?

Do the media corporations have some political agendas they are running and screening their news stories by?

Latest posts