Blind sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Had a strange one happen. A few days ago while checking over the pairs noticed a sick 5 week old calf. Not scouring, not pneumonia. Head down, droopy ears. Gave it a shot of Resflor and came back to check awhile later. Of course it was snowing hard and not very nice out. Finally found the calf out wandering aimlessly, drove up to it and parked. Then it walked right into my quad. Obviously blind, so took it to the barn. Grinding teeth. Tubed it for a couple of days (wouldn't suck), Vitamin B / multi min shots every day, Metacam for 3 straight days(not supposed to do that every day) another round of Resflor, a couple days later some biomicyn. Seemed to get some vision back a couple of days ago. Steady improvement over the last few days, so I brought momma down to be with it. Checked on the little devil this morning and it was sucking the cow like they were gonna quit making milk tomorrow.
Sometimes you win. :D

I wondered about Polio, but according to what I read one of the symptoms is overreaction to touch, and this calf certainly did not do that. But I think it was an infection of some kind that got into the brain.

wbvs58 said:
Listeria and lead poisoning are two others that come to mind especially lead with the blindness and teeth grinding.

Ken

I thought about lead poisoning but she didn't present with frothing at mouth, staggers, convulsions and was as far from excitable as a calf could be.
Also read about listeriosis but she didn't circle or salivate and no facial paralysis.
I think it is safe to say it was some sort of septicemia that entered the brain, after that I'm stumped but awful glad to see a recovery. It will be interesting to see if there will be long term effects on the calf and how it looks come weaning time.

wow, weird case! Glad it seems to be alright now
I'd post that in Palpation Nation, Cody Creelmans group.. might get some answers there

Latest posts