Blind calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

anj0808

Reaction score
ok here is the story. We got a calf when she was just 4 days old and she is now 5 1/2 months old. A very healthy calf with nothing wrong with her at all.. Well we couldnt find her about 2 days ago and she was in the barn underneath a trailer BLIND. Eyes clouded over.. What could have caused this? Cause she was not born like this. And is it likely that she will come out of this?.... We gave her a shot of la-200.. any other suggestions that could help.... And i might add that her right eye is worse than her left. On the left it looks like the middle was starting to go unclouded.. Thanks...

Has she been in a pasture with tall, sticky growth that could have scratched her eyes? or broken off the top seed of the weed and its stuck in her eye that needs to be removed?

Are there objects in the pasture she could have scratched her eye on?

Is it a bit dusty and windy where she's been?

How is your fly control?

How do her eyes look after a shot of LA-200 2 days ago? What dose was given? How much (approx.) does she weigh?

A picture is worth 1,000 words...

Please give us more info and an update. Thanks.

I think Davis covered most of the importiant questions...a picture would be very helpful

Ok thanks. We just started this last fall with the whole cattle business. so not to familar with the term ibr... But yes she is in tall grass and the barn that she is laying in is dusty and we do have flies but they are not thick.. And we also put some la-200 in her eyes.. I am also going to get a pic of it up here soon....

well the vet said pinkeye and that is why she went blind.. so we gave her some la-200 in the eyes and put some stuff to keep the flies off and play it out from there. He said there wasnt much we could do.

Hmmm... I've never known pink eye to come on that quickly either. Generally it takes awhile to go from slightly clouded over, or a center of white, to total blindness... like a few weeks at least.

TheBullLady":2mnbceew said:
Hmmm... I've never known pink eye to come on that quickly either. Generally it takes awhile to go from slightly clouded over, or a center of white, to total blindness... like a few weeks at least.

The other part of the equation that makes me wonder is that it's spreading so fast.

well just to let everyone know that about the calf she is fine she can see she is out in with the others and is doin great..

I brought back an old thread titled " Can we talk " where we talked about pinkeye prevention .Whether it's IBR or pinkeye ( likely a combination of both ) comes under the heading of vaccinations . We have vaccines available for the prevention of these diseases, we should use them .

Larry

Latest posts