Bleeding

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We have a 1st time heifer that has a bloody discharge. She began thus last week. The earliest she could be due is 2/14. Should I worried? Last week blood only. This week bloody mucous.

If it was me, I'd probably be concerned ab out a bloody discharge that's lasted over a week w/out delivery. ??? But I'm no expert on this. About her schedule, she'll set her own. I had a heifer that calved last year a full 15 days before her "earliest possible due date" (and we knew that date because she was AI'd and we don't keep a bull).

If she acts normal in all other ways it's probably just the stretching of the ligiments prior to labor/calving. Noy unusual for a little connective tissue to bleed as it's stretched.

ffamom":1h95ynj1 said:
We have a 1st time heifer that has a bloody discharge. She began thus last week. The earliest she could be due is 2/14. Should I worried? Last week blood only. This week bloody mucous.
WHy do you say that is the earliest she can calve????

I always started calving up to 2 weeks prior than the average figured on bull turn out
nothing is written in stone on gestation periods

Gestation times follow a bell curve like most things

I'd say there's <5% she'll calf at 270 or earlier, an additional 5% from 270-275, then you'll get lots from about 280-290 (more than 75%), and we've had some wait as long as 295 on record

Latest posts