TAIL BLEEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

HomePlaceAngus

Reaction score
I have always papulated for pregnancy check, but have trouble telling early sometimes. I am now trying the blood test method and if I can get it to work, I think the early results will be helpful. My question is about tail bleeding. I would say that on 10 head I had trouble getting blood out of 8 of them. I have read and re-read the instructions. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? any advise will be appreciated. Thanks :bang:

I'm not an expert but I was getting pretty good at it until I got a new batch of vacutainer tubes and everything went to he!!. The new tubes were almost half the size of the first ones I had and they just didn't have the suction. I would get a good stick and lose the flow when I pushed the tube on the needle. Once you lose the suction you can't get it back. Anyway, I recommend 7 ml tubes and watching the video on the Biotracking website.

I use a 18x1 needle and 3cc syringe on each animal.I hold the tail as straight up as i can. At the base of the tail i i run my finger up theres like a V there, right at the top of the V i insert the needle going up at an angle to hit the middle of the tail when i see the blood flash at the needle i pull back on the syringe works most of the time. If the blood doesnt flash in the neddle i just pull it out and start over.

From the top of the v caused by the ligaments i go 3 fingers up. Right in the middle of the tail bone and middle left to right. Tail straight up. Stick the needle to the bone and pull back about 1/4 inch. Pull sample.

tail straight up like said before 3 cc syringe, center of caudual fold, center V go between 2 vertabra
you can feel the valley with your finger, stick strait in and let go it will stay, pull back on plunger should get blood easy,then put in vacutainer , wish I had spell check on this computer
or you could do it this way video of jugular blood draw ,I have not tried that one yet
http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cg ... read=43969
Suzanne

suzorse":26uvk6ir said:
tail straight up like said before 3 cc syringe, center of caudual fold, center V go between 2 vertabra
you can feel the valley with your finger, stick strait in and let go it will stay, pull back on plunger should get blood easy,then put in vacutainer , wish I had spell check on this computer
or you could do it this way video of jugular blood draw ,I have not tried that one yet
http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cg ... read=43969
Suzanne
The video on jugular blood draw is excellent. If I continue having trouble with the tail bleed, I will try it. Back to the tail bleed. We are talking about the underside of the tail, top 8 in. portion with out hair. correct? I have watched the videos on tail bleed and still have trouble. Thanks for your reply.

yep the bald area, I got blood first try, but it took 15 min to calm my nerves enough to do it first
and I ment vacuum tube not the vacutainer,red or red mottled top
Suzanne

suzorse":1lervavb said:
yep the bald area, I got blood first try, but it took 15 min to calm my nerves enough to do it first
and I ment vacuum tube not the vacutainer,red or red mottled top
Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne, That is the area that I have been trying. I am going to take your advice and try somemore.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about treating "hollow tail"

We did 29 head Sunday,it's not as easy as it looks on video :) Started off using the vacutainer tubes and finally decided to go get some syringes and try that. Finally my SIL came over (he used to be a vet tech) and showed us how its done. Pretty much as described above, not hard to do once you've learned how. Only sixty five miles to the lab at Galesburg, Ks. so i just drove to the lab and dropped them off Monday and now were just waiting on e-mail results this afternoon. It was the first time for us and we'll probably do it next year also.

We switched to blood testing last year. I had the vet show me the first one, he got rained out so we sent him on his way and I was on my own 30 minutes later. I will sometimes have problems but discovered I'm too close to the base of the tail when having most problems. If I'm far enough away then sometimes I just have to move the needle under the skin to find the vein.

Latest posts