Bleeding Fuel Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
My tractor started this morning, ran about 5 seconds and shut off. Yesterday, I drained the fuel/water separator bowl. Then, as the directions indicate, I bled the fuel lines. I was pretty sure that was the problem.

When I got out of the cab, I saw fuel dripping from the Injection Pump Bleed Screw. It is actually a bolt but JD calls it a screw.

I took the bolt out of the fuel injection pump. The seal is a collar on the bolt. Part of the collar came off as I pulled the bolt out of the pump.

I called JD dealer. No one knew what I was talking about. First, I spoke to sales desk. The guy looked at the injection pump for a 2012 5083E. He said the parts diagram did not show a bleed screw. He transferred me to the service Department. They didn't know what a fuel injection pump bleed screw was. He told me that you bleed it by loosening the fuel line. I said yes, that is part of the directions. It is on page 65-5 of the maintenance manual. Step 2 is loosen the return fuel line. But step 5 is loosen the injection pump bleed screw.

They could not find a part number for the injection pump bleed screw. It actually got hilarious. Because he ask me why I needed it. He said did you lose it. I said no. It has a seal that is integrated onto the thread of the screw (bolt). I said I need a new bolt because the seal is bad.

I gave up. Here is a picture of the injection pump bleed screw.

Letter D is the Injection Pump Bleed Screw.

What I did is this. I put an O-ring on the bolt. Bleed the lines again. The tractor cranked only a few times and started. I mowed pasture most of the day.

My question is This: is the O-ring a proper substitute for the integrated collar seal?

Go to NAPA get a copper washer that is the seal. Take the bolt with you. That is a common seal.

https://www.ebay.com/p/200pcs-M5-m14-Copper-Crush-Washer-Gasket-Set-Flat-Ring-Seal-Assortment-Kit/10024678967?iid=153283685589

Caustic Burno said:
Go to NAPA get a copper washer that is the seal. Take the bolt with you. That is a common seal.

Thank you. I think the heat will breakdown the O-ring. Good advice.

Thanks for the link.

I second the copper washer, though there are some fiber washers as well that are meant for that.. the pump is a cousin to the CAV DPA style pumps.. I probably have a few of the washers.. complete seal kit is like $20... with stuff like that you're better off going to a fuel injection specialty shop sometimes

Nesikep said:
... with stuff like that you're better off going to a fuel injection specialty shop sometimes
Or the John Deere place, whichever is easier. They're copper compression washers and John Deere's got them.

Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:

Thank you. I think the heat will breakdown the O-ring. Good advice.

Thanks for the link.

O-rings can handle heat, but without a machined groove in the fastener or the casting, they will have a tendancy to slip out of place when the bolt is tightened properly.

Most auto parts stores have an assortment pack of copper washers for a few bucks.

ga.prime said:
Nesikep said:
... with stuff like that you're better off going to a fuel injection specialty shop sometimes
Or the John Deere place, whichever is easier. They're copper compression washers and John Deere's got them.
sounds like they don't have competent service people who can find them is the problem.. a specialty shop is going to at least know what you're talking about!

Nesikep said:
ga.prime said:
Nesikep said:
sounds like they don't have competent service people who can find them is the problem.. a specialty shop is going to at least know what you're talking about!

I was disappointed in their response. They could not provide a part number and when asked what I could use as a seal, they said they could not recommend anything but the original part.

Bright Raven said:
Nesikep said:
ga.prime said:

I was disappointed in their response. They could not provide a part number and when asked what I could use as a seal, they said they could not recommend anything but the original part.

Common sense ain't so common anymore. They work on machines that can cost nearly $1M. They should know that without even thinking. But most of them can't do anything without a computer telling them what to do. There used to be some dang good mechanics around here. But they've just about all retired or died out.

JMJ Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Nesikep said:

Common sense ain't so common anymore. They work on machines that can cost nearly $1M. They should know that without even thinking. But most of them can't do anything without a computer telling them what to do. There used to be some dang good mechanics around here. But they've just about all retired or died out.
Well, it seems like they skipped all the basics, they can probably tell you what some obscure code means but don't know what things do

JMJ Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Nesikep said:

It was disappointing when the person who performs service told me there was not an injection pump bleed screw. He said you bleed the air through the return fuel line. I ask him if he had a 5083E maintenance manual. It shows the fuel bleeding procedure. His response was, I cannot help you unless you bring it in.

I feel your pain. In the end their solution will likely be that the part is not sold separately. So a pricey pump rather than a nearly worthless seal.
I called the Mack Trucks dealer the other day because I needed a diesel hand priming pump to replace the worn out one. I told him the year, model and the horsepower of the engine. He said he needed my VIN number. I told him that wouldn't be necessary, it was a Bosch 300D, he probably had a bucket of them at his feet, they are used in millions of applications. Well that got me nowhere and him a dress down and a lost customer. Immediately ordered one of the internet and had it installed a few days later.

Silver said:
I feel your pain. In the end their solution will likely be that the part is not sold separately. So a pricey pump rather than a nearly worthless seal.
I called the Mack Trucks dealer the other day because I needed a diesel hand priming pump to replace the worn out one. I told him the year, model and the horsepower of the engine. He said he needed my VIN number. I told him that wouldn't be necessary, it was a Bosch 300D, he probably had a bucket of them at his feet, they are used in millions of applications. Well that got me nowhere and him a dress down and a lost customer. Immediately ordered one of the internet and had it installed a few days later.

That is exactly what it was coming to. Apparently, the fuel injection pump screw is not sold as a part. When I ask "then how do I get one?" He said "It comes with the pump".

Bright Raven said:
Silver said:

That is exactly what it was coming to. Apparently, the fuel injection pump screw is not sold as a part. When I ask "then how do I get one?" He said "It comes with the pump".

Ugh. I just looked up the pump on partscatalog.deere.com and I can now say with some authority that that screw does not in fact exist and that the photo you provided of said screw is in fact a clever forgery designed to enrage back yard mechanics all over the world as part of an evil plot to spread anarchy across the globe.

Silver said:
Bright Raven said:
Silver said:

Ugh. I just looked up the pump on partscatalog.deere.com and I can now say with some authority that that screw does not in fact exist and that the photo you provided of said screw is in fact a clever forgery designed to enrage back yard mechanics all over the world as part of an evil plot to spread anarchy across the globe.

I also looked for it on the JD parts website. I could not find the part. The parts guy may have been doing the best he could.

Bright Raven said:
Silver said:
Bright Raven said:

I also looked for it on the JD parts website. I could not find the part. The parts guy may have been doing the best he could.

The screw is definitely there, but it doesn't work very well to prime the injectors when you run out of fuel. I just crack the back 3 injector lines and bleed the air at the top.

When I encounter a fuel bleeding problem I just crank my air compressor and stick blower nozzle in fuel tank neck blocking hole with a shop towel CAREFULLY giving ""short bursts of air"" to force fuel through lines/filters to injection pump/injectors. Works for me every time. I worked for a Ky/Va Stone highway construction crew a couple summers and assisted the mechanic when needed and that was how we got the graders, dozers, etc., started.

Bright Raven said:
Silver said:

I'm going thru this with my wife's car. 2013 Dodge Dart auto trans. On top of the transmission, where the shift cable is, there is a plastic bushing in the cable end that is worn out and the cable pops off the shift lever on the transmission. At 58,000 miles. I called the Dodge dealer last week and they say the bushing is not sold separately.."it's part of the cable, which is $300 plus labor to r&r the cable".
Ouch!

I have it zip tied in place right now and due to the location, it was a beatch to get even that done.

It gets worse. Found a replacement bushing on line for $20.
https://www.bushingfix.com/dodge-dart-shift-cable-bushing-repair-kit/

The plot thickens. The dealer didn't bother telling me, that barely 1 month ago, Dodge announce a recall of all Dodge Darts to fix this problem. I read it online while looking for a bushing & had to call them back and tell the dealership about the recall.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27242261/dodge-dart-recall-shifter-cables/

He looked it up and confirmed the recall is going to begin sending out letters sometimes between now and the end of June but they currently have no parts available and don't even know what parts Dodge will be sending them.
If it goes like most recalls, it could be months before the parts are available.
I've ordered the aftermarket bushing and when this one is gone, I am forever done with Dodge products.
Transmission was replaced under warranty at about 18,000 miles. Radio and information display went out
and the entire wiring harness had to be replaced. Have had a long list of recalls and little irritating problems with this thing.