Blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
My brother in law lost his second calf this tear. They were both around six months old fine one day dead the next with no signals of being sick. Neither calf had a mark on them. These are the first two calves he has lost in years. I asked if he was gonna have this second one autopsied but he said no he thinks it is blackleg. I agree as he gives the vaccine at birth for it. Mine get the vaccine at 3-4 months of age and again at weaning as I see it as cheap insurance. The question is Should I start giving it at birth and then again at 3-4 months. Our vet recommends 3-6 months for blackleg vaccine.

Nothing to lose (other than the cost of the vaccine), by giving it at birth - or at least, early on - though I'd avoid giving any vaccine between days 3 and 6, as that's when immunosuppression appears to be at its peak.
Will they respond adequately if vaccinated at birth? We don't know for sure, though evidence is mounting that colostral antibodies don't appear to have as much adverse impact on response to most vaccines as we'd thought earlier.
But I'd definitely give another dose around 3 months, and another at weaning.

Some folks have to learn the hard way - I know I did. The loss of those two calves(and potentially more, even if he vaccinates now) will probably more than pay for all the blackleg bacterin he'd use in a lifetime.

Lucky, Thanks for the back up on this. I just wanted a sanity check. I blackleg at 3-5 months of age and then again at weaning which is around 7 months of age. I think I am going to start doing it at birth too. Like you said it s cheap insurance.

robert,
We had this discussion recently in another thread - I used to be of the opinion that if you got one dose of blackleg vaccine in a calf after 3 months of age, that they were 'good for life'. But, over the past 15 years, I've seen several cases of confirmed blackleg in adult cows that had good histories of being properly vaccinated as calves. So...I presume that, at least in some animals, immunity wanes, and as a result, I 'booster' my adult cow herd against all the Clostridial organisms every 2-3 years; again, while it may be largely unnecessary, it's cheap insurance.

kenny thomas":3gnef2ec said:
Lucky_P, do you think that vaccinating the cows also adds some immunity to the calf?

I'm not a vet like Lucky_P, but yes it does, that is the only reason I vaccinate my cows annualy. Your schedule of 3-4 months of age with a booster within 8 weeks is spot on.

I lost a great young bull overnight a few years ago, had him autopsied and the results came back as clostridium septicum, which happened to be the one strain not in the vaccine I used. From then on I am every diligent in making sure the initial vaccinations and boosters are on time and that all the relevant strains are indeed in the vaccine.

KNERSIE":lzxdnn58 said:
kenny thomas":lzxdnn58 said:
Lucky_P, do you think that vaccinating the cows also adds some immunity to the calf?

I'm not a vet like Lucky_P, but yes it does, that is the only reason I vaccinate my cows annualy. Your schedule of 3-4 months of age with a booster within 8 weeks is spot on.

I lost a great young bull overnight a few years ago, had him autopsied and the results came back as clostridium septicum, which happened to be the one strain not in the vaccine I used. From then on I am every diligent in making sure the initial vaccinations and boosters are on time and that all the relevant strains are indeed in the vaccine.
Ditto that assumption.
We vaccinate at 1 month then at weaning and booster, then yearling. Keep in mind that vaccines are not 100%. We still had an Old cow die from this and she was and had been properly vaccinated.
Valerie

hillbillycwo":1ivczqeu said:
For the vets out there would it be practical to give an annual booster to adult animals?

yes, that is what my vet recommends

"For the vets out there would it be practical to give an annual booster to adult animals?"

Won't hurt anything, and wouldn't amount to significant expense if you did it annually, but I usually do it about every 2-3 years.

Lucky_P":3n7ol1qb said:
"For the vets out there would it be practical to give an annual booster to adult animals?"

Won't hurt anything, and wouldn't amount to significant expense if you did it annually, but I usually do it about every 2-3 years.

Lost an 6 year old cow to Black Leg , she was faithfully vaccinated yearly for it . Is this unusual for an older animal to contract Black Leg?
Valerie

hillbillycwo":w6cb6iy0 said:
My brother in law lost his second calf this tear. They were both around six months old fine one day dead the next with no signals of being sick. Neither calf had a mark on them. These are the first two calves he has lost in years. I asked if he was gonna have this second one autopsied but he said no he thinks it is blackleg. I agree as he gives the vaccine at birth for it. Mine get the vaccine at 3-4 months of age and again at weaning as I see it as cheap insurance. The question is Should I start giving it at birth and then again at 3-4 months. Our vet recommends 3-6 months for blackleg vaccine.

Without having the animal posted this is a crap shoot. The back leg muscles should feel like a bag of Frito's as this is an indication of blackleg, but the animal still needs to be posted at a Vet.

Ya, I agree that posting the animal is beneficial. Not my call on this one. His herd is vaccinated well and has good quality free choice mineral. He missed a few calves over the past breeding season due to a girlfriend and didn't get them vaccinated for the blackleg. That is why his mind goes in that direction. They were both healthy one day and dead the next. They presented no symptons at all and neither one had any froth around the nose or mouth to indicate a respitory thing. It is fairly expensive in our area to have one posted and we are to far from the U of K to take it there. So asked the questio nhere for opinions and got some. Now if he losses a few moe then he may consider the expense of a post. I think I would get one if I had no idea what caused the sudden death.

Thanks again for the feedback.

My understanding is it is a muscle disease but my experience is limited as well. Dun, you there? I am sure someone with more knowledge will answer you.

Thanks Caustic for that link. Now I fully understand. I will try to do some convincing of my brother-in-law but I am convinced. Mine will definitely get this vaccine more regularly. Have a Blessed Christmas and Happy and prosperous New Year!!

Latest posts