Blackleg in newborn calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I found a newborn calf two days ago. It was lying down but ears and eyes were alert. I found it today dead. Upon further investigation I noticed some lesions on its rear hip. I at first thought they might have been caused by me dragging the body to the truck but now I'm wondering if it may be black leg. I'm taking the calf to the state vet in the morning to get an autopsy but I thought I would get your opinion. Can a calf that young get blackleg? Could its mother have given it the disease in the womb? I just bought this cow and she was supposed to have be vaccinated but who knows if that is true or not.

Kyle

Red Bull Breeder":zo8gatl8 said:
Don't recall ever seeing blackleg in a calf that young.

+1. I've lost month old calves and blamed it on enterotoxemia (overeating)

Always tried to vaccinate calves with 7 way at birth and again at branding for this reason. Or vaccinate the cow before calving.

Sorry for your loss. Please let us know the results of the post.

Vet performed an autopsy this morning and stated other than her naval being infected that the only other thing out of the norm was that the calf had no milk in its belly. I assume the calf was too weak to nurse and died as a result from that. They are going to perform more tests and check for any infectious diseases as well. I'll keep everyone posted.

Kyle

Latest posts