Blackleg Treating Grown Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

xbredcattle

Reaction score
I'm using Vision 8 w/ Spur to vaccinate my calves for blackleg - I'd bet the set of cows I bought weren't blackleg vaccinated. They're 3-5 years old so should fine but I'd hate to lose one on account of not being vaccinating. Can you give the shot to bred cows that are past 2 years of age?

Yes, you can give it to them. I use Calvary 9, it's a 2cc shot, I like that better than the others that are 5cc. I actually have a blackleg problem here, so along with the Calvary 9 I give everything, I also give type A.

Safe for all ages. If you have any doubts... vaccinate...it's cheap insurance
I don't booster the adults every year, but do try to give the mature cows a booster every 2-3 years.
Have seen enough cases of blackleg in adult cows - with history of vaccination as calves - and often associated with going through an estrus synchronization program...that I'm willing to spend a few extra cents per cow.

denvermartinfarms":2d7dhkex said:
Yes, you can give it to them. I use Calvary 9, it's a 2cc shot, I like that better than the others that are 5cc. I actually have a blackleg problem here, so along with the Calvary 9 I give everything, I also give type A.

Do you give the first dose and booster 3 weeks later for the grown cows too?

xbredcattle":c5ycayq8 said:
denvermartinfarms":c5ycayq8 said:

If I have some that's never had it I do. But once I've done it I just give it to the cows once a year.

denvermartinfarms":31qi8s1v said:
xbredcattle":31qi8s1v said:
denvermartinfarms":31qi8s1v said:

If I have some that's never had it I do. But once I've done it I just give it to the cows once a year.
That's what we do too. Since we haven;t brought in any outside cows in years they're all vaccinated since a calf so just once a year now.

Latest posts