blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR":1x2drwzg said:
msscamp":1x2drwzg said:
KNERSIE":1x2drwzg said:
msscamp":1x2drwzg said:
3MR":1x2drwzg said:
If I was soley giving the blackleg vacine I wouldnt give it any longer than three years tops, would probably stop after 2 years.

Do you mind me asking why? Thanks in advance.

blackleg is typically a problem in cattle younger than three years.

Thanks!

Sorry Msscamp. I would have answered you sooner, but I was really busy this past week. My answer is the same as Knersie's.

No problem, thanks! :)

3MR":2tqdqj4l said:
How about I spend 60 cents a cow on flood insurance or lightening insurance as well. I have never had a cow drown or get hit by lightening either, but what the heck, its only 60 cents. Seems pretty cheap right!

Hey; tell you what, for 59 cents a head I will sell you alien abduction insurance.

My point is, if its not a problem for you then its a waste of money regardless of how cheap it is. If its a concern, then by all means go for it.

The milk antibodies argument has some merit, but then in my opinion its limited in that in a month or so they will be getting the vacination themselves anyway.

Totally agree with you 3MR. If a person has a problem, then by all means do it.

I was just looking up some info. on blackleg and found something that seemed to disagree with some.
On these 2 sites they say that a booster is needed 4 to 6 weeks after initial vac. and 1 booster a year later. This procedure should protect the cow for life. I also found on some of the manufactures sites that they recomend a booster every year forever.
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/article ... nation.htm
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... cattle.pdf

Might as well ask a question while I,m at it.
How soon after birth can you vac. calves?

Just to complicate things some more. Alpha 7 works different than the others. No booster after initial vac.

Walt

I have never had blackleg. I don't know of anyone in this area who has ever had a calf with blackleg. But it still cheap insurance. Ultrabac 8 cost me 36 cents a shot. And there are seven other things in that shot besides blackleg. I have one pasture that looks like the poster child for red water. Again I have never had a case of red water but I don't want to start now. One dead cow or calf will buy a lot of vaccine.

simangus 5, The vaccine that doesn't need a booster 4 to 6 weeks after initial shot would be Alpha 7. We give Alpha 7 to newborns and it is recommended to booster at weaning. It is still recommended to booster annually,although we normally booster cows and replacements spring and fall with Vision 7 and Triangle 9.

Running Arrow Bill":2ecppznh said:
novatech":2ecppznh said:
cowvet":2ecppznh said:
I disagree with three yearly - if they are breeding cows then a booster every year prior to calving will increase the antibodies in milk and protect the calf until it is vaccinated.
Any cattle beast over three years is probably for breeding so an annual booster is cheap insurance!

Great info. But brings up a question. If I have purchased cows of any other age, and do not have any record of previous vaccinations . Can I or should I start a blackleg and other vaccination program on them, and will they need the initial shot and booster?

When vaccination history is unknown or undocumented, I'd give new arrivals a full series of the cattle vaccinations, plus de-worm them. Those individuals that don't vaccinate (or completely vaccinate) are either naive, cheapskates, have no facilities to restrain the animals, or just keep hoping dumb luck will protect them (and any of their customers). These people have a list of rationalizations a mile long for why they DON'T vaccinate. A Caveat: Which is more cost-effective? Losing an animal (and/or vet bills) for not vaccinating/de-worming (OR) spending $25 to $50 a year for a full program of prevention for each animal???

JMO...

Actually a closed herd with no outside contact with other animals is a fairly safe herd

How do you keep deer out of a closed herd? Vet has said there are diseases that will pass from deer to cattle,names that escape me now, so he recommends vaccinations twice yearly.

I have been reading the post. Here is one. I have lost several 500 to 700 lb calve to blackleg in the past years. This would happen in the fall when I would turn into the hay fields. After three or so years the vet told me that the disease was in the ground left from the buffalo.
I vaccinate the mother every years plus both shot to the calf. Have not lost any since then.
The vet told me that the animal had to be gaining weight or losing to get the disease.
Before I realized the problem I may not have been as careful to do thing correct as now.

hillrancher":2xie2r7h said:
I have been reading the post. Here is one. I have lost several 500 to 700 lb calve to blackleg in the past years. This would happen in the fall when I would turn into the hay fields. After three or so years the vet told me that the disease was in the ground left from the buffalo.
I vaccinate the mother every years plus both shot to the calf. Have not lost any since then.
The vet told me that the animal had to be gaining weight or losing to get the disease.
Before I realized the problem I may not have been as careful to do thing correct as now.
I don,t know about the buffalo, but all the research I have done agrees with the theory that, it lives in the dirt untill it finds a host.

hillrancher":1ti67cm3 said:

young fat cattle is more proned to blackleg, no idea why, though.

Latest posts