• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Guest
My mom and stepfather just had their second outbreak of blackleg. If there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening again? Do they need to do anything to the ground where they buried the dead cattle?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Blackleg is BAD BAD news. I think I would have burned the carcasses in the hole before covering with earth just for the additional precaution. Vaccinate like there is no tomorrow.

> My mom and stepfather just had
> their second outbreak of blackleg.
> If there anything that can be done
> to prevent this from happening
> again? Do they need to do anything
> to the ground where they buried
> the dead cattle?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ditto! ALL calves should be vaccinated for blackleg and other diseases and illnesses when they are young. We do initial vacc. plus a booster at weaning. If your folks refuse to do anything about (for some weird reason) contact someone else who can help you!

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
young being about what age?.....just after weaning....around a year?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> young being about what
> age?.....just after
> weaning....around a year?

1st shots around 3-4 months, 2nd booster at weaning. Then, yearly updates.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Can you vaccinate them aat birth? I thought Black Leg doesn't need a yearly booster?

> 1st shots around 3-4 months, 2nd
> booster at weaning. Then, yearly
> updates.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Don't know anything about vaccinating at time of birth for anything. Our annual booster vaccinations are those recommended for our geographic area. Check with your Vet for recommendations in your area.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> Can you vaccinate them aat birth?
> I thought Black Leg doesn't need a
> yearly booster?

The yearly booster for the cow herd increases the colostrom protection level so that the newborns are protected until they are vaccinated themselves.
 
Top