Blackleg vacine

Help Support CattleToday:

randumchatress

Reaction score
Hi all. We have been buying calfs from the stockyard and having them worked there, shots etc.. The cost has gone up so much we have decided to do it ourselfs. I have been reading up on blackleg, one article stated to give the vacine after the calf is four months old. We are not sure how old these calfs are. My question is , could you tell me how important age is when vacinating for blackleg. I always appreciate the help and understanding I get when I come here. Thank you

Usually if they are on their mothers under 3 months the colostrum will not allow it to be effective. As long as the colostrum antibodies are alive in the calve the effectiveness will not be good.

Scotty

Most blackleg vaccines are 100% effective at 3 months of age or older (usually 80% effective at 2 months), although I have seen some that advertise 99% effectiveness at 2 months of age. If you're worried about giving it to calves older than 3 or 4 months, don't be. Shoot 'em up. You'll also want to check the label, as you'll usually need to give them a booster a few weeks later. I use Covexin or Tasvax here, and give them shots at 3 months of age (just before releasing onto pasture) and boosters 4 months later.

If you keep heifers back for breeding, you'll also need to give those heifers another blackleg shot in the spring.

Rod

I don't know about %, but agree to the giving of the anitgen. This type of antigen is not going to hurt anything.

Scotty

Latest posts