Blackleg Question

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
Are there different strains of the Blackleg virus? Can migrating egrets carry blackleg around? The reason I ask is my neighbor has lost 4 heavy weight calves 600 - 800 lbs. in the last 2 weeks didn't find them until after a couple of days, bloated from the heat, and he talked to the vet and the vet said it sounded like blackleg. I found two dead calves, 350 - 400 lbs. bloated from the heat and being eaten on by the buzzards this week and talked to the vet he said it sounded like blackleg also. These calves were given a shot of 8-way about 6-weeks ago. Bad batch? or Different strain? Do I need to revaccinate the calves or the whole herd? I know the label states a booster 4-6 weeks later and Annual revaccination but we have never given the follow-up or the annual booster in the past and have not had any losses. I assumed the one shot and the anti-bodies from mom's milk protected them. I know what they say about "assuming". Just curious about different strains. Thanks.

ok 2 questions for you.an i bet i already know the answers to both.1 did either of you feel the calves front shoulders.an did they feel real musy.or was they stinking to bad when yall found them.2 did yall give them the booster blackleg shot 3wks after the 1st 1.

bigbull338":1xz0ydf5 said:
ok 2 questions for you.an i bet i already know the answers to both.1 did either of you feel the calves front shoulders.an did they feel real musy.or was they stinking to bad when yall found them.2 did yall give them the booster blackleg shot 3wks after the 1st 1.

I felt down the legs but not up in the shoulder area. I couldn't tell any difference by feel. And as I stated in my original post, I did not give the follow-up booster at 4-6 weeks, but I have never given the follow-up and have not had any loss. I guess my luck ran out.

I'm sorry to say, but your luck ran out. There is a very good reason for booster shots, I suggest you give them from now on, losing one calf will offset any cost or hassle involved giving the booster shots.

There are various Clostridial strains and not all are included in the one vaccine does it all types. I found that out the hard way, if I didn't send a meat sample in for analysis I would still have been in the dark. In my case it was Clostridium Septicum that wasn't in the Supavax/Duovax combination vaccines.

Clostridium strains live in the soil and if its there it will sooner or later come back to bite again, and usually you won't just lose one at a time. If you have it on your land you just need to make sure your vaccination program is always up to date as there is no way to get rid of it.

pm me with the strains in the vaccine you use and I can compare it to what I use. The vaccine I use cover all the Clostridium strains.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2g7vinsj said:
I think all the 7 and 8 way vaccines cover the septicum if i am not mistaken knersie.

Not saying it was septicum, merely that in my case septicum was the culprit and I thought I had it all covered. Not all vaccines have all the strains and you'll never know which strain might have caused it unless you have sent an example in to be analysed and the strain isolated.

Have to keep in mind vaccinations work 70-80 percent of the time. The only reason booster shots are necessary.

I lost 2 more today. I revaccinated the remainder of the calves and all the cows I could pen tonight. The vet said I could still lose calves for up to 10 days before the antibodies built up enough to be effective. At this rate I won't have any calves left in 10 days. :( :cry2:

Blackleg lives in the ground. Can you move the cattle from where they are? Ask your vet about giving anti-biotics .May not work but you could ask.Sorry you are going through this especially afteryou had vaccinated for it like you had always done.I have never given the second shot either unless I weaned the calves.

Blackleg is a bacteria, not a virus... thus it can be treated with antibiotics. Note that penicillin is labeled for treating blackleg, but you would have to use a much higher dose (5cc/100lbs or more) than what's on the label.

Latest posts