Blackleg in my pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

rodman

Reaction score
I have had 2 650 pound feeder steers die int the last week due to blackleg. Is there anything i can put on the ground to get the disease out of it?

It's there and I don;t know of anyway to eliminate it. From now on any animal exposed to that pasture has to be vaccinated and boostered for the clostridial diseases.

It's pretty much everywhere; worldwide.
If you raise cattle and don't vaccinate against it... you're rolling the dice, and eventually, it'll catch up to you.

Nothing you can do about the presence of spores in the soil on your place. Vaccinate.

what about just one round of blackleg vaccine and they don't ever get the booster?

banjo,
One dose *may* protect many of them - but the manufacturer didn't put that 'booster needed' phrase in the label just to sell more vaccine - the trials they conducted to satisfy USDA requirements for licensure showed that the booster, administered as stated, was necessary to provide a specific level of protection ( like, maybe, 95% resisted challenge or demonstrated detectable antibody levels).

Millions probably survive with one dose - but is it because they were adequately immunized, or did they just not have an exposure? How do you know? It's cheap. Give the booster. Yeah, I know it's a PITA getting 'em up and running 'em through the alley/chute again, but... I'm just sayin'...

Might want to look at your vaccination program. Happen to use a few yrs back and we were only using 5 way vaccine and Vet told us to go to 7way to make sure we covered all the strains. Don't know if it helped but we haven't had a problem with blackleg since.

Blackleg seems to always get the best calves in the pasture. At today's prices, one calf will pay for a lot of vaccine. Blackleg lurks, always there, always waiting for a chance. One calf, two calves or more. This loss not only would pay for a lot of vaccine, but would likely pay for some pens and maybe even a nice squeeze chute to help with the vaccines. That being said, can't do a thing about yesterday. But as for tomorrow... vaccine and facilities.

Ultra Bac 8 cost about $0.40 a shot. This fall my few steers averaged $948. I could give 2,370 doses of vaccine for the value of one calf. It is pretty darn cheap insurance. And a whole bunch cheaper than anything you could begin to try to do to your pasture.

I vaccinate with 7-way, castrate, and eartag my calves when the youngest is about 2 weeks old, so the oldest will be about 8-10 weeks old. That's all my steer calves get until they're sold and I've never lost one to blackleg. Heifers get a booster when I wean them. Like someone said above, the blackleg vaccine is pretty cheap insurance.

Latest posts