Black white face cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
Does a black and white face calves seem to bring more money then other calves, or would something else.This might vary with the region everyone is in ,but all info would be apreciated....

Only way to know for your area is to attend some sales. It seems like 20 years ago they would pretty much top the sales because you could be pretty sure they were agus Hereford crosses. Now with all of the breeds turning balc they could be about anything and hte baldy face could be from a Simmenthal

I'm on the other end of the state from you, but blacks and BWF usually bring right at the top here. If the BWF has loud markings like spots on the side or almost like it has a belt, a lot of times it will get docked, even if they are equal in quality and size. One example is a good tan and white Simmental cow I used to have would throw some calves out of my Angus bull that looked like a HerefordXAngus BWF, and they always brought good, but some of her calves would come out black and white marked like her, and they would get docked, even though they were the same quality as the other calves she had had. It's frustrating, but that's the way it is. At least that's been my experience. CharolaisX and LimoX calves bring good here too, but all things being equal I'd say black calves tend to bring the highest on average.

Solid black or Black with the solid white face always seem to bring more than say a solid red or red while face of similar quality. I agree, not everything black with white face is AngusXHerford and I also agree that Black with a "spotted" white face seems to get docked if only a little. Doesn't seem right when we are supposed to be selling meat instead of color.

Latest posts