Black Walnut Trees maybe next to go...........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Thousand Cankers or Geosmithia morbida is a fungal disease of walnut (Juglans spp.) trees that is vectored or spread from tree to tree by the walnut twig beetle Pityophthorus juglandis. Thousand Cankers Disease is a newly recognized pest that has produced widespread death of walnuts in many western U.S. states east of the Mississippi. Currently, this disease is found in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Tennessee and now Haywood County (fall of 2012) North Carolina. Trees susceptible to Thousand Cankers Disease include many western walnut species along with black walnut and butternut trees from North Carolina. Fortunately, this disease does not affect pecan and hickory species.

Read more at: https://swain.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/01/thousand-cankers-disease-2/

I sprayed our old southern pines in Florida every year with a stout dose of Permethrin and Tempo. To the best of my knowledge the southern pine beetles haven't killed them yet.

:cry2:

Now that really hurts. The most common tree here is the black walnut. It would basically be an end to the trees on my farm.

jltrent said:
Thousand Cankers or Geosmithia morbida is a fungal disease of walnut (Juglans spp.) trees that is vectored or spread from tree to tree by the walnut twig beetle Pityophthorus juglandis. Thousand Cankers Disease is a newly recognized pest that has produced widespread death of walnuts in many western U.S. states east of the Mississippi. Currently, this disease is found in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Tennessee and now Haywood County (fall of 2012) North Carolina. Trees susceptible to Thousand Cankers Disease include many western walnut species along with black walnut and butternut trees from North Carolina. Fortunately, this disease does not affect pecan and hickory species.

Read more at: https://swain.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/01/thousand-cankers-disease-2/
The same thing happened to the American Chestnut. Hard to find one anywhere now and before the decline there were thousands of acres of them.

Bright Raven said:

Now that really hurts. The most common tree here is the black walnut. It would basically be an end to the trees on my farm.

Have your farm harvested. We're in the final months of cutting our timber now and after reading this information I'm very happy we decided to do so. The walnut trees bring good money. I'm having the larger oaks taken down as well.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

Have your farm harvested. We're in the final months of cutting our timber now and after reading this information I'm very happy we decided to do so. The walnut trees bring good money. I'm having the larger oaks taken down as well.

Hardwood trees may be going the way of the dinosaur. Biologist have coined the cliche "Viruses will inherit the earth". Maybe so but fungi will give them a run for their money.

In my lifetime, I have seen a dramatic disappearance of many species of deciduous hardwoods. The woods in this area look nothing like that did when I was 10 years old.

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

Hardwood trees may be going the way of the dinosaur. Biologist have coined the cliche "Viruses will inherit the earth". Maybe so but fungi will give them a run for their money.

In my lifetime, I have seen a dramatic disappearance of many species of deciduous hardwoods. The woods in this area look nothing like that did when I was 10 years old.
Don't know how close you are to Morehead, but a few years ago there was a lot of nice trees around there. I remember a sign that said the hardwood capital of the world there.

ON the Walnut trees if they are showing signs of dying it would be best to log out what you can and make paperwood out of the rest. We lost our Ashe trees and as soon as the bugs started on them it ruined the wood as it stained it and made sorry timber out of it. This will probably do the same to the walnut. It is a shame the destruction these bugs are causing and most probably imported.

jltrent said:
Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Don't know how close you are to Morehead, but a few years ago there was a lot of nice trees around there. I remember a sign that said the hardwood capital of the world there.

ON the Walnut trees if they are showing signs of dying it would be best to log out what you can and make paperwood out of the rest. We lost our Ashe trees and as soon as the bugs started on them it ruined the wood as it stained it and made sorry timber out of it. This will probably do the same to the walnut. It is a shame the destruction these bugs are causing and most probably imported.

I am one hour from Morehead. Interesting that you mention that, because I go up there often (lots of very close friends), I am always impressed that the woods are still healthy there. A truly healthy deciduous forest is an amazing experience.

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

Pine plantation from here to the east coast has changed the landscape for sure. I have two chinquapin a dozen or so black walnut and a couple black cherry left in the native hardwood. The chinquapin are small I planted from nuts from the only surviving tree from the blight I know of. I have planted blight resistant chestnut trees very few native left.

Caustic Burno said:
Pine plantation from here to the east coast has changed the landscape for sure. I have two chinquapin a dozen or so black walnut and a couple black cherry left in the native hardwood. The chinquapin are small I planted from nuts from the only surviving tree from the blight I know of. I have planted blight resistant chestnut trees very few native left.

American Chestnuts are completely gone here. Many have planted "blight resistant" chinquapin trees. Yet to be seen if they will prosper. Here's an excerpt from an article I read a little while back.

"But the American chestnut is not actually extinct. In fact, there are millions of sprouts that can be found throughout its native range. The blight kills the above-ground portion of the trees, but the root system can survive and form new sprouts. Luckily, although the sprouts usually only reach about 15 feet tall before being killed by the blight, some are able to produce nuts before they die, enabling a new generation of trees to grow.

In addition, a (very) few mature American chestnuts still exist, apparently resistant to the blight. Researchers at the University of Guelph have been collecting seed from these rare "mother" trees. The university has created a National Recovery Plan with the goal of producing a blight-resistant chestnut tree by hybridizing the American chestnut with other species of chestnuts. Some say this recovery could take 18-20 years, while others say it is a more long-term project (which will take 75-100 years before we know whether the tree can be re-established as a mainstay of eastern forests)."

Caustic Burno said:
I planted Dunstan varieties.

http://www.chestnuthilloutdoors.com/store/c/18-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees.aspx

Have a good friend that planted some of those very trees. I haven't heard him say how they were doing lately. I will ask him tomorrow

JMJ Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:

American Chestnuts are completely gone here. Many have planted "blight resistant" chinquapin trees. Yet to be seen if they will prosper. Here's an excerpt from an article I read a little while back.

"But the American chestnut is not actually extinct. In fact, there are millions of sprouts that can be found throughout its native range. The blight kills the above-ground portion of the trees, but the root system can survive and form new sprouts. Luckily, although the sprouts usually only reach about 15 feet tall before being killed by the blight, some are able to produce nuts before they die, enabling a new generation of trees to grow.

In addition, a (very) few mature American chestnuts still exist, apparently resistant to the blight. Researchers at the University of Guelph have been collecting seed from these rare "mother" trees. The university has created a National Recovery Plan with the goal of producing a blight-resistant chestnut tree by hybridizing the American chestnut with other species of chestnuts. Some say this recovery could take 18-20 years, while others say it is a more long-term project (which will take 75-100 years before we know whether the tree can be re-established as a mainstay of eastern forests)."

I have worked in forestry for 35 years and they were doing research on the American Chestnut when I started. They are still doing it. It will be years and years before the seedlings become affordable enough for me to buy and plant.

To give you an idea of cost, last ones we planted came from the American Chestnut Foundation here in VA and the quote I heard was $205 per seedling. We got some grants that included planting them on abandoned mine land.

JMJ Farms said:
That's pretty stout. But you should be able to plant a few acres. Just have to flip a few more pounds of beef!

A five foot tree from Dunstan is like 50 bucks,that's a long way from 200.
What makes those so special?

Caustic Burno said:
JMJ Farms said:
That's pretty stout. But you should be able to plant a few acres. Just have to flip a few more pounds of beef!

A five foot tree from Dunstan is like 50 bucks,that's a long way from 200.
What makes those so special?
I suspect it's because of the research on the family's they are crossing.
Just like humans have different family's with different shapes, forms, health issues or resistance to something so does trees. These are 15/16 pure original picked from certain families.

There were 3 big Black Walnut trees here. They had been the shade trees for the house for a long time. They were about 3 foot in diameter. One was dead and the other two were dying. We had them taken out last winter. They had to come down in pieces which wasn't cheap but the price of the logs covered the cost of removing.

Latest posts