black maximizer cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498":9hur1wkz said:
anyone else heard of this wonderful new breed? :)

I read about them. It is probably a functional breed in a good environment, but the "be all, end all" hype around them makes men like me suspicious. There are many "old" breeds that are good, and several other composites too. :2cents:

A limousine bull on the maximizer cross cows does sound like a good plan, even if it is likely that they put some limo blood in the cross in the first place. And it would be a terminal cross. Then the only numbers that are interesting are birth ease, muscle and growth, in that order.

They'd probably convert to "Minimizer" in this climate. Surely they'd minimize the herd.

well,i guess that warren did over do it with his advertising. they are some really nice cattle though. this year he sold us a 3 heifers and one calved a bull last week. very low birth weight. our main herd bull is a purebred black max and has great genetics on either side. :D

TexasBred":1eadoqjg said:
Looks like they performed pretty darn well on the LSU forage test. Might be on to something.

Hot dog. Buy yourself a couple hundred. 20 years from now if you have gotten 20 calves out of most of the cows, I'm gonna wish I switched. lemme know :D

backhoeboogie":26pe5mm6 said:
TexasBred":26pe5mm6 said:
Looks like they performed pretty darn well on the LSU forage test. Might be on to something.

Hot dog. Buy yourself a couple hundred. 20 years from now if you have gotten 20 calves out of most of the cows, I'm gonna wish I switched. lemme know :D
I figure anything that can handle Louisiana can handle central Texas pretty easy. Look like pretty nice cattle to me. They'll breed, they'll have calves and they'll sell great. ;-)

houstoncutter":nqtfgvgt said:
I could never find at what the breeds were crossed and at what percentages?
Don't think they ever said HC. Gotta be some angus in there somewhere tho.

well he won't actually tell us what they are. the only thing he told me is "half continental and half english" but there is angus in the cross. the bulls are black but are built like charlaois,and some have very droopy brahma like ears (hint hint). the only thing i dis like about them is that they graze like they haven't eaten in days and they aren't as longlived as our longhorns. the haifers he sold us were raised with the longhorns so even though they are labeled black max they act more like the longhorns. that heifer is really a great mom her baby boy "spike" though. so they have a few faults,but not many.

longhornlover3498":1skzpb3y said:
well he won't actually tell us what they are. the only thing he told me is "half continental and half english" but there is angus in the cross. the bulls are black but are built like charlaois,and some have very droopy brahma like ears (hint hint). the only thing i dis like about them is that they graze like they haven't eaten in days and they aren't as longlived as our longhorns. the haifers he sold us were raised with the longhorns so even though they are labeled black max they act more like the longhorns. that heifer is really a great mom her baby boy "spike" though. so they have a few faults,but not many.
Website says they are a taurus breed and as you say half british and half continental, it also says they are homozygous black and polled and he says they are the only breed in the world other than angus to possess those traits. Sounds to me that might not be too different to the other angus infused cattle.

Old_man_emu":1u91kq13 said:
longhornlover3498":1u91kq13 said:
Website says they are a taurus breed and as you say half british and half continental, it also says they are homozygous black and polled and he says they are the only breed in the world other than angus to possess those traits. Sounds to me that might not be too different to the other angus infused cattle.

Maybe he is just plain honest about it and says, "these aren't pure angus." I gotta admire that.

If you cant tell me what Im buying I aint buying....I like hybrid vigor in my breeding decisions, its one of the few free lunches we as cattlemen have. How could anyone know what to cross these animals with to get maxium vigor unless u used a brahman....and it sounds like some of the animals have a little ear in them as well....

SSGenetics":1t530qtt said:
Hes just performance testing commercial cattle..... right?
i don't know. last year and the year before he had a herd of about 30+ cows and bulls on our land but, we had to end the contract because it said that we get half the calves and he took to many calves last year(over 60%) and that's not how we do buisness.

backhoeboogie":ghq8f41j said:
Old_man_emu":ghq8f41j said:
longhornlover3498":ghq8f41j said:

Maybe he is just plain honest about it and says, "these aren't pure angus." I gotta admire that.
yes he is very touchy about people calling them angus because thats not what they are. he leased land from us for the past two years and the contract said that we get half his calf crop but, we kicked him out last year because he took over 60% of the calves at branding. i just don't think thats fair because while he hid in billings we cared for his animals. we bought the vaccines,fly spray,grain,tags and hay. so even though he's got some fine cattle he's dis-honest and snaeky. :(

houstoncutter":3ixkjssf said:
If you cant tell me what Im buying I aint buying....I like hybrid vigor in my breeding decisions, its one of the few free lunches we as cattlemen have. How could anyone know what to cross these animals with to get maxium vigor unless u used a brahman....and it sounds like some of the animals have a little ear in them as well....
he won't tell anyone because he's scared they might steal his "ingredients" to the maximizers before he gets it pattented.

longhornlover3498":3jemjny7 said:
houstoncutter":3jemjny7 said:
he won't tell anyone because he's scared they might steal his "ingredients" to the maximizers before he gets it pattented.

If he's such a shytbird why are you on here pimping his product?

Latest posts