Black Leg at the Neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

hey guys

im new in the cattle business. I run a small herd of 12 heifers and have ivomeced them when i got them home. I have sense bought a bull with all his shots and turned him out with the heifers june 21. I have heard of black leg but dont know what to use to use for vaccination. Also what else should a guy be vacinating for and what can be done when they have been bred. I agree its cheap to do it and in a small herd i cant afford to loose a cow or calf.

thanks guys

Dave":165yiq56 said:
As Dun said I am working them anyway so it is just one more shot. And a cheap one at that. The pasture they summer in fits the description in all the vet books for Redwater. I swear they have a picture of my pasture in one of the books. Ultra Bac 8 covers Redwater too and for me it is more of a concern than black leg. But for a 40 cent shot why take a chance.

Dave, never heard of Redwater. I looked it up and read some. Is it a regional disease? I am in KY and was wondering if maybe it is not common here.

redwater is regional yep. Had it on one farm I worked on and never seen it since or before, would be nice never to have to see it again. It's tick-borne,and that was the sort of area where if you go swimming in the river you'll be pulling ticks off yourself later.

robo: for this area calves get clostridia (eg,covexxin 10) and lepto vaccinations twice in their first year, whole herd gets lepto annually, bulls get vaccinated for BVD to prevent them contracting it during the mating season. Your area may differ.

inyati13":2dgoyuol said:
Dave":2dgoyuol said:
As Dun said I am working them anyway so it is just one more shot. And a cheap one at that. The pasture they summer in fits the description in all the vet books for Redwater. I swear they have a picture of my pasture in one of the books. Ultra Bac 8 covers Redwater too and for me it is more of a concern than black leg. But for a 40 cent shot why take a chance.

Dave, never heard of Redwater. I looked it up and read some. Is it a regional disease? I am in KY and was wondering if maybe it is not common here.

Bacillary Hemoglobinuria (Red Water) is found in porrly drained areas and is possibly associated with liver fluke damage. It has been reported in swampy pastures of the Sierra Nevada and the coastal ranges. My summer pastures total 240 acres in three pastures. There are 12 duck blinds scattered over this area. Even now in early July there is a couple inches of standing water in places. So you get the idea, it is swampy pasture at best. There are two things to do to prevent an out break. Vaccinate or drain the area of stagnant water to kill of snails. Drainage would be nice but is not an option, so I vaccinate

Latest posts