Black coyote

Help Support CattleToday:

Not according to the research scientist at Cornell Univ. "Supposedly" some really bad weather pushed the wolves around the top of Lake Michigan and mingled with the Eastern Coyote. The "new" coyotes that everyone thought was dog crossed, turned out to be WOLF cross,
Did you ignore the report Ky Hill posted - DNA tested : 64% coyote, 13% gray wolf, 13% eastern wolf, and 10% domestic dog. That's 1/4 wolf. This is NOT the DNA that would be because of "the beginning of dogs/coyotes". 26% IS a CROSS with wolves.
64% coyote would be considered a half blood in our industry.
Yes, I saw that. I've also seen several others that refute those numbers of that single study. That was one study, one study is often flawed. Even if they are true, it still means they're coyotes with a small amount of wolf DNA. They aren't a wolf or wolf cross. Studies of western coyotes can also show wolf DNA, they're still coyotes too. Remember that wolves and coyotes share a lot of ancestors and therfor DNA.

AFAIK, S.Korea is about the only Asian country where you can still get dogmeat in one of the wild animal markets and their govt is trying to put an end to it. Taiwan put an end to it about 4 years ago and enacted stiff penalties for anyone butchering and selling them. Philippines banned it except in cases of some kind of religious or cultural ceremony. Communist China banned it last year but how well the ban is being enforced is anyone's guess. Polls show around 70% of the Chinese people say they have never eaten dog or cat.

Oddly enough, Switzerland allows consumption of dogs and cats (and anything else except people) as long as they're yours and there isn't a big pressure to enforce or find out where the meat came from. You just can't prepare it for anyone else.
Rural Vietnam, it's anyone's guess.

Yes, I saw that. I've also seen several others that refute those numbers of that single study. That was one study, one study is often flawed. Even if they are true, it still means they're coyotes with a small amount of wolf DNA. They aren't a wolf or wolf cross. Studies of western coyotes can also show wolf DNA, they're still coyotes too. Remember that wolves and coyotes share a lot of ancestors and therfor DNA.
So basically an argument about degrees and everyone is just as wrong as they are right until everyone agrees on definitions.

(facepalm)

So basically an argument about degrees and everyone is just as wrong as they are right until everyone agrees on definitions.

(facepalm)
Likely bias because of the samples. I have an article somewhere that there is no red wolf on the east coast. They are merely coyote/dog crosses. Environmentalists are not always willing to give up without making things happen. In SC, the Carolina Heelsplitter mussel is considered endangered/rare/protected or something. But every time folks study a different stream they often find the mussel. So it is really rare or just not enough data to prove that it is actually widespread and not rare? But the protection is a pressure mechanism to control private land use so it is deemed good by environmentalist.

Likely bias because of the samples. I have an article somewhere that there is no red wolf on the east coast. They are merely coyote/dog crosses. Environmentalists are not always willing to give up without making things happen. In SC, the Carolina Heelsplitter mussel is considered endangered/rare/protected or something. But every time folks study a different stream they often find the mussel. So it is really rare or just not enough data to prove that it is actually widespread and not rare? But the protection is a pressure mechanism to control private land use so it is deemed good by environmentalist.
I haven't seen a red wolf since the late 60's. When they started clear cutting the coyotes moved in .

Well, we can debate this forever - point is - these "coyotes" are multi-colored (some black, red, grey) - they are huge - generally 60#-80#. Kinda looks like a wolf - hmmm.
Not the "coyote" I knew in Kansas.
I will stick to the research I've read. It makes the most sense to me. Sure not worth arguing over. LOL

I'm in agreement with @Jeanne - Simme Valley I will follow the research on this subject. My personal belief is that there is something to it because it does seem logical to me based on what we are seeing locally.
On a local/regional level, the F/W dept was very slow to acknowledge the spread of black bears into our area, until they could no longer spin it. The same is occurring with mountain lions, it's currently in spin mode in light of on being hit on a road and another heavily publicized and reported incident of a F/W officer shooting a mountain lion out of a tree.
The article in my original post is from I believe a National Park website or something similar and they are acknowledging wolf genetics and coyotes that are more than coyotes. That in itself stands out to me given the history.
A while back I read about a red wolf breeding/reintroduction project in. NC.
From what I understand the project hasn't been successful as they are interbreeding with coyotes.
I thought the picture of the red wolf resembled the markings and head shape of the coyote in the op though it is significantly darker than most see here. I've seen some that obviously showed domestic dog characteristics and a a couple that looked like could easily pass for a small wolf. A few years ago I saw a big grayish one with darker fur mixed throughout. I watched it for quite a while sitting by a pond and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I wondered if was I seeing a wolf. It was different looking than the small scroungy coyotes we see in pictures, but it wasn't as big as what I think a wolf would be.

My buddy did a summer job for the feds over out towards Piccosin(?) and some other spots in NC that were specifically to track both quail and red wolf populations, there are certainly red wolves on the east coast.

Latest posts