Black bulls= Black bladies

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I know that a true black baldie is Black Angus/Hereford, but do you get a similar looking calf with any black hided bull? ie; black body and white face. What would be the draw backs with going with a different type of black bull, Gelvbieh (sp) or other easy calving black breed.

Thanks,
Alan

A black bull bred to hereford cows should get you baldie colored calves. However, some breeds will show up in the appearance differently. For instance a black limo bred to a hereford will give you a black white face calf but it will look like a limo cross regardless of the color.

Last year I bred my hereford cows to a very nice Murray Grey bull and got all black white faces. Really nice looking calves so far.

Hereford bull on a holstein cow will produce black baldy (what we call feathernecks)

Makes a darn fine momma too.

Dub

MY NEIGHBOR BOUGHT A HERFORD BULL TO MAKE BLACK BALDIES ON HIS BLACK COWS BUT THE HERFORD TURNED OUT TO BE A DILUTER AND HE GOT A LOT OF GRAY BALDIES.

Another version of this question, I have what I call "a tan baldie"

What should I get when I cross with a PB Blk Angus Bull

C HOLLAND":3nyzzqch said:
Another version of this question, I have what I call "a tan baldie"

What should I get when I cross with a PB Blk Angus Bull

You would either get a black or a grey calf, depending on whether the cow passed on the diluter gene or not.

I have a bunch of those holstein hereford cows. They generally have more white on them than a angus hereford. But when bred to an angus bull the calves come out black with just a bald face. But mom has lots of milk so the calves really grow and they are fat.

Latest posts