Black bull- red babies

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
Hi All!

I've got a black angus bull. Red angus mother and he produced a solid red heifer. Hereford ma and he produced a solid red heifer with a bald face. What is up? Will the rest of the calves most likely be red?

Thanks for your input!
Amy

The bull carries a red gene. On his papers somewhere it shaould have (RC). When bred to red cows there is a 50/50 chance of red calves. When bred to black cows, depending on if the cows are red carriers, you could get 1/4 reds or 100% black

nycowgirl":2ik29a8i said:
Hi All!

I've got a black angus bull. Red angus mother and he produced a solid red heifer. Hereford ma and he produced a solid red heifer with a bald face. What is up? Will the rest of the calves most likely be red?

Thanks for your input!
Amy

Is he a registered Angus bull? Some Angus bulls carry a red gene and when bred to red cows will produce some red calves. If it's a problem for you, ask the breeder to take him back and either refund your money or trade him for another bull.

We have two black bulls that have the red gene. Ome is just starting this year and one is our main bull.
We are ok with the red gene because some of our animals are Char, char X, herford X, and some Simmental thrown in there some where.
Less chance for the grey babies.

nycowgirl":3by7ej9v said:
Hi All!

Thanks for your input!
Amy

Your bull carries the red gene. Depends on what color their mother is, and whether they also carry the red gene if they are black. The white face, and white markings of Herefords tends to be dominant so, if you have any more Hereford mothers, their calves will likely be red with white faces and markings.

dun":374oerpb said:
The bull carries a red gene. On his papers somewhere it shaould have (RC). When bred to red cows there is a 50/50 chance of red calves. When bred to black cows, depending on if the cows are red carriers, you could get 1/4 reds or 100% black

I agree

Had another calf yesterday by this bull. Ma is hereford. Calf is black baldie. This bull is from black/ black sire and dam. I'm glad to at least get some black out of him.

Thanks for your answers!
Amy

nycowgirl":1p375fy3 said:
Will the rest of the calves most likely be red?

well, since it's 50/50 black and red, there was a 25% chance to get 2 red calves out of 2.

3 of 3
.5 x .5 x .5 = 12.5%

5 of 5
.5 ^ 5 = 3%

10 of 10 = .09%

"most likely" they will be 50/50 :)

Aero":749qcxt9 said:
nycowgirl":749qcxt9 said:

well, since it's 50/50 black and red, there was a 25% chance to get 2 red calves out of 2.

3 of 3
.5 x .5 x .5 = 12.5%

5 of 5
.5 ^ 5 = 3%

10 of 10 = .09%

Do you mean a 0.09% chance of getting 10 reds out of ten matings?

SCRUBS620":23gncm5t said:
Aero":23gncm5t said:
nycowgirl":23gncm5t said:

3 of 3
.5 x .5 x .5 = 12.5%

5 of 5
.5 ^ 5 = 3%

10 of 10 = .09%

Do you mean a 0.09% chance of getting 10 reds out of ten matings?

By my math, it would be a .097% chance of getting 10 reds out of ten of these matings. That's .5 to the power of 10 or .5 times itself 10 times. That rounds to .1% (one one-tenth of 1%). This means that if 1,000 people tried this experiment of 10 breedings each, statistically only 1 of these 1,000 people would get 10 red calves.

Glad the we don't have to worry about the color genes...
As the o'l saying goes..."beauty is only skin deep"....'course the flip side is that ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Most of our customers never see the animal that they are buying...and besides, they all pretty much look the same when they are naked with some exceptions of course.

Just in out of the heat so feeling a little squirley....Dmc

and city folk think farmers are dumb. You guys are math majors. hahaha. I kind of like the red every now and then. Keeps things interesting.

Well we have a red angus cow, we AI'd with red angus semen and got a black heifer calf. I have sent in a blood sample for DNA testing from the heifer calf. I am guessing that the bull has a black gene somewhere along the way, at least that is what the guy that did the AI'ing told me. I just want to confirm before I register her. Dont' want any questions when my son shows her next year and a jr yearling.

jmbadavis":1logcn0s said:
Well we have a red angus cow, we AI'd with red angus semen and got a black heifer calf. I have sent in a blood sample for DNA testing from the heifer calf. I am guessing that the bull has a black gene somewhere along the way, at least that is what the guy that did the AI'ing told me. I just want to confirm before I register her. Dont' want any questions when my son shows her next year and a jr yearling.

Genetics 101, if it's black it has at least one black gene if it's red there are no black genes. Either the stud put a black bull in a straw labeled as a Red Angus, very unlikely, or the AI tech screwed up.
But as long as you know who the black bull was and he's an Angus, you can register the calf as a Red Angus, I think it's category 2. That's 100% Angus with a disqualifying characteristic. In this case the black color.

Dun is "dead-on". If an animal is RED (even one out of both black parents), that RED animal does not have ANY BLACK GENES in it, so therefore CANNOT pass on a black gene.
Most likely tech used wrong straw - or the name of the bull you chose is actually a black Angus bull.

Frankie":1cvv7sq3 said:
nycowgirl":1cvv7sq3 said:
Hi All!

Thanks for your input!
Amy

Is he a registered Angus bull? Some Angus bulls carry a red gene and when bred to red cows will produce some red calves. If it's a problem for you, ask the breeder to take him back and either refund your money or trade him for another bull.

I sold one bull that had a red gene (since sold the cow line where the gene come from), the customer said he had some calves that were red. He said he would be happy with some credit towards his next bull purchase. Best part was he was the one that suggested the credit towards another bull.

Latest posts