birds in my pole barn.eeerrrrr!!

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
pooping all over evrrything! disgusting. only roost for the shade in the daytime. easily over 50 of em.
gonna stop at tractor supply on my way home and buy an owl. think that 'll help??

the shotgun made big holes in the roof....

squawk boxes are kinda pricey

too high for the dogs and too fast for the cats...

seriously...they are pooping all over the truck and tractors and in my feed. now i gotta keep it covered. what a pita!!!

DavisBeefmasters":efx61wy0 said:
BB Gun and offer $0.25 per bird if you have any neighboring young ones...????

Depnds on the roof and the bb gun. Neighbor had his boys try to clean out the pigeons. Had a lot of wet equipment and hay afterwards.

The owl won;t do diddly. Guy across the road has the same problem and has owls all over the place. I've gone in theree and seen the pigeons roosted right next to the owls.

One of the local farm supply places uses the plastic owls. Guy said when they screwed em to the rafters they did nothing. When they hung by a fishing line so they moved, they worked great. Said every once in a while they moved them around but didn't know if that contributed to their success. Lady down the road had problems with pidgeons in her horse shelter. Nailed down one of those cheap cats ( halloween decoration ) on the roof right over the door and it actually works.

BB gun at 11pm and a flashlight works great. I used to hunt pigeons so I'd have birds to train my retrievers with... might ask around if there's any dog training groups in your area. A lot of the folks will trap them too. Pigeons run $1-3/live bird.

Train":360hp2pk said:
One of the local farm supply places uses the plastic owls. Guy said when they screwed em to the rafters they did nothing. When they hung by a fishing line so they moved, they worked great.

We tried them both ways, and neither one did diddly squat.

Build a trap. Feed the birds in the same spot for a few days and then put trap in the same spot.
To build the trap you build a wire box with a funnel at one, or both ends leading back to the center of the box.
Another method is to build a door with wires hanging down that only swing to the inside. Wrap the wire around short pieces of plastic tubing. Slide them over a metal dowel which is tied to the top of the entrance space. Tack on a wood strip on the bottom so the wires cannot swing back out. This is the type we used to recapture racing pigeons when I was a kid.
One important thing to remember is that after you catch them do not take them somewhere else and release them. They may beat you back home.

i think im gonna throw poison on top of the barn roof. put it in a small feeder and let em have at it. not much else working.
shootin em is not gonna work. so many of em and the shot scares em away . they fly to the tree out front and then fly back and hr later.

bird seed and rat poison oughtta do it..tractor supply here i come

Boy, between the birds and frogs, you got things pooping all over. Aside from poisoning the feed, most birds will wash up in a bird bath. Find something to poison the water. Antifreeze maybe. It's supposed to taste kind of sweet and it works on coons.

good idea too. i really dont like indescriminate killing but i gotta do somethin..like ya said i got toads round the house and in the garage and birds in the barn

ITS POOPFEST HERE IN MYAKKA!

We had this annoying problem last year and used a biological solution to solve it. We collected two black rat snakes from other areas around the farm and turned them loose in the barn. They not only occasionally got a pigeon but they got into the nests and ate the eggs. Probably their mere presence encouraged the other birds to find more hospitable conditions. An added benefit is that rat snakes are also voracious rodent eaters.

Shoot them, trap them or get something that is a predator for them.

DON'T put poison out because you will more than likely poison something you didn't want to or shouldn't have and could possibly really regret it.

Did you get rid of the birds yet ? You say they don't roost in there for the night ? I made a bird trap once that I used to catch black birds, It would be some trouble, but if your problem continues I can explain how it was made. Kind of big though.

still got em...gonna fill a bird feeder with rice and hang it up there...mixed w/crushed alka seltzer if the rice alone dont werk

dieselbeef":39k5ppmt said:
still got em...gonna fill a bird feeder with rice and hang it up there...mixed w/crushed alka seltzer if the rice alone dont werk

The alka seltzer to get rid of their stomach ache from eating the rice?

We had the exact same problem here. All we did was get a few good sized rolls of chicken wire and stapled that to the rafter beams, so it made sorta like a chicken-wire ceiling. Sure works great, and lasts you a while too!

db, I truly am sorry for your recent problems with the critters down there, BUT for purely entertainment purposes alone, I hope you don't latch on to any solutions real soon. :D

Latest posts