BioPryn Blood PG test -- alternate method for blood draw?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Sorry, folks. Don't want to wade through miles of discussion that I know has already been discussed. But in using the BioPryn blood draw for PG test . . . you had a better idea than using their kit draw unit. What size needle? Thx.

I use a 18 to 20 but always find the easiest is to go under the tail for a blood draw.

I use an 18 gauge 1 inch needle. A couple of Saturday's ago, I gave up on drawing blood from one. I had poked and prodded all I was going to.

Bigfoot":2dosm5m3 said:
I use an 18 gauge 1 inch needle. A couple of Saturday's ago, I gave up on drawing blood from one. I had poked and prodded all I was going to.

We had one of those a couple years ago, Bigfoot . . . . she sucked her tail in so tight, and got noth'n from her!

There's a pretty good vein in the ear if you give up on getting it out of the tail.

I use the 20 gauge x 1" with a 3 cc syringe. You can get them from the Air-Tite folks for a .10 a piece with the needle installed. Vacutainers are about .20 each. You have to buy 100 of each.

I bled 17 last week and had an easier time than before. I realized I wasn't going high enough up the tail. I am now going about 5" from the base. You have to remember that the vein is just under the skin so keep the needle pointing upward. To many times before I would poke the needle all the way through the vein with bad results.

I like an 18-20 ga x 1-1.5" needle and the tail vein on most cows. You don't need a big needle and larger diameters makes a huge hematoma on the tail likely - that also makes it difficult to draw blood next time. Blood draws on groups, I use supplies similar to what BioPryn provides:

http://www.biotracking.com/store/cattle100

Just less stuff to carry, clean up and throw away. I don't use syringes unless I can't get a sample with the vacutainer.

I usually go at one of the first three vertebral junctions from the base of the tail - it's easier to hit lower down - remember if you hold the tail too tight/high the vein is stretched and doesn't flow well. There's always a jugular, ear, and facial veins that can be accessed in a pinch, but the tail is by far the safest and quickest.

For tail bleeding on a beef cow you need a 1.5" needle especially if there fat. You can get away with an 1" needle on a dairy cow.

only once have I had a problem drawing from the tail, for some reason she just wouldn't let me find it or maybe it was just pure me. , decided to try the next day Bingo, 18 ga 1" seems to work best for me ad as someone said the vein is not very deep very seldom do I go 1" into the tail, I like the syringe method the best drawing about 3 cc and transferring,,, just my opinion for what that is worth

We use the Vacuette blood collection needles that screw into the tube holder. This system has a neele on each end; one end goes into the cow and the other end goes into the blood tube. We get them from our BioPryn provider along with the tubes and tube holders.

Latest posts