Biodiesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Biodiesel=good for cooking french fries.....not internal combustion engines.

I use biodiesel in my truck and have for a couple of years with no ill effects. They do warn that biodiesel has a solvent effect. Meaning if you have an older vehicle that may possibly have buildup or scaly particles in the tank or fuel system, you may have to change the fuel filter more often when you first switch to Biodiesel. The reason is that the Biodiesel will basically clean all that gunk out of your fuel system and try to pass it on through.

Another reason to switch is the added lubicating proporties of biodiesel. Injection pumps are lubricated by the oil particles in the fuel. Now, the EPA is eventually going to mandate Ultra Low Sulfur fuel which is a "drier" fuel, meaning it has less of that "lubricating oil" in it, thus causing premature injection pump failures.

I realize that it does smell like french fries, but I can deal with that, knowing that my fuel system is cleaner and my injection pump will last longer.

I also realize that it does have a higher gel point, but that is not a concern for me since our part of the country rarely gets below 0. If it does get that cold, I just add a little Power Service and go on.

And last but not least, I know that Biodiesel is usually sold in a B20 form which is 80% number 2 diesel and 20% biodiesel. So why not give some of that money back to the american soybean farmer?

JMHO

Latest posts