Bin run corn for hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Anybody ever planted any corn (not seed corn, corn straight from the bin) for hay. I've fed corn stalks in a pinch, they amount to just roughage. I've never cut any still green, and rolled it. Only thing that has me thinking about is, my sudex is about ready to lay down. Seems like if you cut it when it's young enough, the stalks would be etable. Surely I'm not an inovator, if it was that easy, everybody would be doing it.

I have never know anyone to do it seems like a green corn stalk would be hard to dry down enough to roll. I would think soybeans would be a better option. Know several people that plants them for hay.

BF,
Friend of mine who was a UK Ag Extension agent over around Pulaski Co. was a big believer in planting bin-run corn for summer grazing.
I dug back and found an email discussion thread from 7-8 yrs ago and excerpted the appropriate part...

" consider drilling in corn (2 bushels of bin-run corn/acre with approx 70 actual units of N/acre) for summer grazing (we can plant the corn in late Apr/early May and in 80-90 days have the corn ready for grazing - 160,000 plant population/acre will give you tremendous carrying capacity

Wish I'd been able to get this done on the 2 sacrifice paddocks where the cows spend the winter, this spring. It's rougher than a cob, and mostly populated with pigweed, ragweed, smartweed.

pricefarm":u27zbzzp said:
I have never know anyone to do it seems like a green corn stalk would be hard to dry down enough to roll. I would think soybeans would be a better option. Know several people that plants them for hay.

I have planted soybeans, a few times. I didn't have it tested, but it looked good, and the cows liked it. The stalk migh be an issue idk. It might not, on a 95 degree day with sunshine and the wind blowing.

Lucky_P":1sj4ujh4 said:
BF,
Friend of mine who was a UK Ag Extension agent over around Pulaski Co. was a big believer in planting bin-run corn for summer grazing.
I dug back and found an email discussion thread from 7-8 yrs ago and excerpted the appropriate part...

" consider drilling in corn (2 bushels of bin-run corn/acre with approx 70 actual units of N/acre) for summer grazing (we can plant the corn in late Apr/early May and in 80-90 days have the corn ready for grazing - 160,000 plant population/acre will give you tremendous carrying capacity

Wish I'd been able to get this done on the 2 sacrifice paddocks where the cows spend the winter, this spring. It's rougher than a cob, and mostly populated with pigweed, ragweed, smartweed.

It never occured to me to graze it. As cheap as corn is, 2 bushels to the acre wouldn't set ha back much. I'm assuming they broadcast it to plant it?

That's what I'd intended to do - broadcast it and disc it in. Just didn't get it done.
Believe ol' KT had talked about either doing it that way or drilling it in. He used to do a lot with forage/grazing stuff; think he had both beef and dairy producers who would strip graze the bin-run corn once it got up to size... don't know that I ever remember him talking about 'em cutting it as a hay crop.

pricefarm":3bqdracs said:
Are you going to try the corn this year? Just wonder if it was to late to try.

We just got our rye chopped and planted silage corn about a week ago. if you are going to use it green it should be ready by fall with a shorter maturing variety.

I dont think you can legally plant most of the newer varieties of bin corn from seed companies since they have intellectual property rights over the traits and genetics in the kernels and patents on it. I think some of the older stuff you can though would be curious about the exact rules on that.

It's too late here, would be my guess. But, maybe not to just graze idk. It'd be a good guess you can't plant these GMO corn varietiesegly that way. It's also a possibly that if the seeds had been dried much, the germination rate would be bad on them to. Once again, that's out of my area of expertise.

It'd be nice if it worked. You could go rye in the fall, and corn in the spring. Maybe even interseed the corn with something else. You'd be talking about some tonage on an acre in a year

I dunno if the corn police get stirred up if you're planting corn for grazing ... I understand if you're growing it out to harvest grain or seed for next year's planting... but if they're gonna eat stalk & everything before it ever sets an ear... but, I'm not a lawyer(but #1 son is).

Lucky_P":17ykferg said:
I dunno if the corn police get stirred up if you're planting corn for grazing ... I understand if you're growing it out to harvest grain or seed for next year's planting... but if they're gonna eat stalk & everything before it ever sets an ear... but, I'm not a lawyer(but #1 son is).
If the cows are gona eat all the evidence who will know.

Corn stalks will never dry for hay. Corn balage can work if you cut it early and have the the right equipment.
Many folks have switched from bin run to grazing corn for seeding forage.
Look into sudan grass if you need hay.

Bigfoot":2ftxxtyq said:
It's too late here, would be my guess. But, maybe not to just graze idk. It'd be a good guess you can't plant these GMO corn varietiesegly that way. It's also a possibly that if the seeds had been dried much, the germination rate would be bad on them to. Once again, that's out of my area of expertise.

It'd be nice if it worked. You could go rye in the fall, and corn in the spring. Maybe even interseed the corn with something else. You'd be talking about some tonage on an acre in a year

If your looking for summer grazing with corn, IMO open pollinated varieties like Hickory King is better suited.
It will grow well without fertilize or not much, that is if you plow the ground first.
Plow, disk, and plant. no need for herbicides because most likely you are going to have crabgrass, pigweed, morning glory and johnsongrass as your weeds. So along with the corn your are going to have a buffet of weeds the cattle like.
The reason guys plant bin run RR corn is so they can spray it for weeds plus they already have it and its cheap.
But in a grazing scenario, most of these weeds that come up will be a benefit for grazing.

If your looking for summer grazing with corn, IMO open pollinated varieties like Hickory King is better suited.
It will grow well without fertilize or not much, that is if you plow the ground first.
Plow, disk, and plant. no need for herbicides because most likely you are going to have crabgrass, pigweed, morning glory and johnsongrass as your weeds. So along with the corn your are going to have a buffet of weeds the cattle like.
The reason guys plant bin run RR corn is so they can spray it for weeds plus they already have it and its cheap.
But in a grazing scenario, most of these weeds that come up will be a benefit for grazing.[/quote]

One thing about summer grazing green corn would be to be careful if your neighbors have some planted around your pastures. Seems like once my cows get a taste of it fences do not keep them out of it.

I'm not sure that grazing corn is the best way to go. I have done it. But its a one shot deal. After they graze it your done unless there are varieties that will regrow I don't know about. Also the cattle knock an awful lot of it down and waste it.
Something like sudex or pearl millet would be better IMO since it regrows after grazing.

If pearl millet will grow where your at, it's the ticket for seasonal grazing. I am impressed with the growth even after leaving the cows on one pasture for to long.

Latest posts