Big or small dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3sprmb2q said:
Not sure what you consider big and little but I agree with a previous post. The bigger dogs tend to take a little more abuse from the small children. The little yappy dogs do not like being played with rough and will snap at a kid in a heart beat.

One of my dogs is a Lab/Greyhound mix. He will take down a coyote in no time, even killed & subsequently ate a beaver. He's the absolute best dog around little kids, will take anything they dish out. Evidently he must like it because he doesn't try to get away.

TexasBred":ysgotrr2 said:
Dachshund and a Great Pyrenees here. They make a great pair. The GP let's the Doxie think she's winning every war they have. Both are great with kids but the Doxie is a big possessive of everything.
One doxie will get you both a big and little dog. They're a big dog in a little dog body. Ours ran off a couple of big lab st bernard cross looking things. Boy was she proud of herself

I have three rat terrier mixes. Smart, tough little dogs, never miss a trick. All are good with my kids, but one will nip when she is harassed too much. She's done this to my nephew, but she just barely got him, no where near enough to break the skin. The boy needs it though, God love him, he gets told repeatedly to leave her alone when she backs into her doghouse.

Best dog I ever had was a black lab/ blue heeler F1 (for all you crossbred lovers on the forum!)." He took the best attributes of both and put them in a midsized body. Super tough dog, my sister-in-law once seen him squared off against a big 8 point buck, he was all heart. I'll admit I shed many tears the day I lost him.

I (occasionally) breed Mastiffs. Not every big breed is the same (think Cane Corso and Anatolian Shephard vs Mastiff).

Regardless of breed or size, you never want a child to learn is OK to mistreat a dog. Eventually, every dog (and person) will have their snapping point. The snapping point for most well-bred Mastiffs is quite a bit farther away than most other breeds.

If you want to find a reputable breeder of any breed who is near you, I hope you consider me a resource.

I have a wide variety and find it has a lot to do with the amount of time you spend with them. I have everything from a dachshund and jack Russell mix to a Drahthaar at 80lbs. Any one of them I would trust with anyone at my house. That being said there are to many good dogs to have dog you don't trust around everyone, big or little people. I like the suggestion of a rescue, but make sure it's a reputable one that actually tests the dogs to see what home's best suit them. Biggest of all, be HONEST with YOURSELF as to your experience with the type of dog your looking at.

M-5":27vfy8kb said:
I have found that a dog that is gentle with kittens will be gentle with children. even though there is no correlation it has more to do with the temperament of the animal.

My 104 pound black Lab/Great Dane loves kitty snacks and will eat kittens in one or two gulps. He despises cats, as do my other 3 dogs. ALL of my dogs are fantastic with children and babies. The Lab/Great Dane got between a neighbor and her 2 year old boy and growled at her because she was fussing at her boy. She thought it was awesome that my dog was protecting her boy. Our 10 month old grand daughter is enamored with his tail and will crawl to him to catch his tail. All 3 grand daughters have taken naps on him. He adores baby chicks and lets them hop all over him. He just likes to eat cats and rabbits.

The coyotes have enough to eat around here without me giving them small dogs to snack on. I see a lot of Catahoula Leopard dogs with small kids. Yorkshire Terriers are the worst breed with children.

Teaching a child to be respectful is probably more important than the breed.

I like an Austrian shepherd for kids I also have a Mountain Cur that is very smart and gets along great with my Grandson. Something to think about is there is certain dogs that the Insurance co. are refusing to cover you if you own them. I have a list of 14 dogs that I will not allow any of my tenants to own, due to ins. company. I was also told the other day all Ins. Co. will be doing the same within a few months.

BRYANT":swspkvfy said:
I like an Austrian shepherd for kids I also have a Mountain Cur that is very smart and gets along great with my Grandson. Something to think about is there is certain dogs that the Insurance co. are refusing to cover you if you own them. I have a list of 14 dogs that I will not allow any of my tenants to own, due to ins. company. I was also told the other day all Ins. Co. will be doing the same within a few months.

The 14 most commonly banned dog breeds.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ca ... -companies

Currently have an 11 yr old male Border Collie, and a 10 month old female Blue Heeler. I like most dogs, although I will admit I like small dogs a lot better when they belong to somebody else. Like someone else already commented with coyotes being so thick around here little dogs wouldn't last running loose very long. I reckon I prefer medium sized stock dogs the best. Did have some Great Pyrenees for a while, good dogs, but like to roam.

Dogs and Cows":3j812nab said:
Ky hills":3j812nab said:
Currently have an 11 yr old male Border Collie, and a 10 month old female Blue Heeler. I like most dogs, although I will admit I like small dogs a lot better when they belong to somebody else. Like someone else already commented with coyotes being so thick around here little dogs wouldn't last running loose very long. I reckon I prefer medium sized stock dogs the best. Did have some Great Pyrenees for a while, good dogs, but like to roam.

This confuses the heck out of me...we are over run with coyotes here and are constantly working on them. I have a 15 lb beagle that has run of the farm. There are lots of folks around with smaller dogs that are out and about. The dogs are all known and nobody has an issue with them. But not once have I heard of a coyote incident with a dog in these parts....not once. Heck these coyotes are interbred with the feral dogs here and go 60-70 lbs...so they are big. I did have a Plott coon dog one time (about 38 lbs) bump into some coyotes hunting, but she didn't have a problem. It is just not something you see in these parts...

Tim

I know, it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason. There are some coyote/dog crosses around here too. Few years ago someone in the county had a Border Collie to be bred by a coyote they kept one of the pups. I reckon maybe some of them are territorial, may account for some of the dog killing. We have always had some foxes around and over the last few years they have moved in closer to the house and barns. One night last winter heard a fox ( strangest sound I have heard ) later heard coyotes, next morning saw a hind leg and the tail of a fox. Had 2 little Shetland Sheepdog crosses years ago, was out getting a coon out of the chicken house, they ran down the hill and one yelped and they must have flew back to me. Shined a spotlight down and saw two sets of coyote eyes.

Dogs and Cows":30q36vgg said:
Ky hills":30q36vgg said:

This confuses the heck out of me...we are over run with coyotes here and are constantly working on them. I have a 15 lb beagle that has run of the farm. There are lots of folks around with smaller dogs that are out and about. The dogs are all known and nobody has an issue with them. But not once have I heard of a coyote incident with a dog in these parts....not once. Heck these coyotes are interbred with the feral dogs here and go 60-70 lbs...so they are big. I did have a Plott coon dog one time (about 38 lbs) bump into some coyotes hunting, but she didn't have a problem. It is just not something you see in these parts...

Tim

Tim,
You can see one that's been attacked by Coyotes at my vet just about year round. Or do an internet search for coyotes attacking dogs in urban areas. Happens everyday.

Coy dogs are usually the result of a solitary female breeding with a domestic dog.

We have plenty of those, too. Saw a Coyote female with a group of pups that had white markings last winter.

Two pit cross dogs killed Oscar our weenie dog awhile back. He thought he could whip anything, and would've if the dogs came in the yard. Without any backup he was done for, just like some people.

Latest posts