Biblical rainfall and feeding hay....

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't want to :deadhorse: but I quit feeding in rings and started rolling out my hay about 4 years ago and the difference is night and day. I know that not every practice works for every operation but I think some producers would be pleased with the results. Very minimal waste, little to zero mud, and even manure and hay waste distribution. The single biggest key is to only unroll what they will clean up in a short period of time. I unroll enough to last a day. Twice a day would be even better but it depends on available time.

Everything is relative, we'll bale 39 inch bales, just for early season feeding. That isn't the reason we have that baler, but it works, little waste. We unroll our poorer quality bales in severe weather, and feed our highest quality stuff in a ring. Winter feed is the most expensive part of a cattle operation.

Dave":xilcrdq6 said:
Years on the Washington coast with rain nearly everyday all winter there is only one solution. Concrete. Even better concrete with a roof over it.

Some do use fabric and feet of crushed rock. At that point concrete may be cheaper. :nod:

Smaller cows make a big difference. :hide:

I think a sacrifice area is the cheapest approach. I have 8 bale rings on a hill side that got just trashed this fall...

Eastern KY, maybe, BR. It's not been that way out here in the western part of the state. We've been in drought conditions for months. Little bit of rain last week helped green things up a bit, but pastures here are pretty much done for. I've got enough to rotate the herd RAPIDLY around the farm one last time, then they pretty much have to come in for winter feeding.
I know y'all folks up east think Elizabethtown is 'west', and beyond there, there be dragons... but there's another 200 miles of KY west of Etown.

Latest posts