Bez Caustic Dun

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunfish

Reaction score
In complete seriousness

Is my generation just dumber than say y'alls generation

The reason I ask is and No offense to anyone but I'm fairly certain the kids that are in the 20's now are dumber than my generation at that age

I feel like with each generation we are losing ground

Education is a double edged sword now a days. The poor and minorities get government help, while the upper class can afford to pay their college tuition. And the middle class is being left out, because they can't afford to go college. That's what is making the rich richer, and the poor poorer.

I ain't one of the three you asked but all you have to do is work around these kids.
I went through over a dozen personally and observed twice that in construction trades. The are dumb, lazy, and spoiled. Lack initiative and cannot handle pressure. They cry home to their mommy when yelled at and quit at the first point of things getting tough. I was cussed out and had tools thrown at me while an apprentice. My best helper was 58 and ran circles around the 18's.

highgrit":2hfucqde said:
Education is a double edged sword now a days. The poor and minorities get government help, while the upper class can afford to pay their college tuition. And the middle class is being left out, because they can't afford to go college. That's what is making the rich richer, and the poor poorer.

Is that true, that minorities get government help for college (I mean, aside from income-based need)? So, if you're a minority but middle class, you can get government loans or grants that are not available to whites of the same income level?

The only time I have every heard of such assistance is to Native Americans. I would be interested in any links you have. I have a family member who has said the same thing but I have never checked into it. I admit I'm a bit skeptical but willing to be proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time nor the last...

AllForage":2mvdns65 said:
I ain't one of the three you asked but all you have to do is work around these kids.
I went through over a dozen personally and observed twice that in construction trades. The are dumb, lazy, and spoiled. Lack initiative and cannot handle pressure. They cry home to their mommy when yelled at and quit at the first point of things getting tough. I was cussed out and had tools thrown at me while an apprentice. My best helper was 58 and ran circles around the 18's.
That's why when I do run into one of thee really good kids now I think there may still be some hope for the future. The majority of them pretty much drowns out that hope.
In the late 90s I had an offer to go to work for a company programming for the Y2K fiasco. I told him my age and he said that was good. He said that us older people still had a work ethic and if something needed to be done we would finish it and not walk out the door at 5 oclock.

AllForage":205x7pb3 said:

What was your trade?

fitz

Iam in my 20s and agree with you. Most people my age are lazy and have no work ethic work harder to get out of work than if they just went and have no common sense. Iam a lineman so u would think that anyone that would even considered this kind of career would realize before they started that it would be hard work, long hours, and u would have to work in all kinds of weather good or bad. But where I work its like a revolving door they start want to be payed top dollar but don't want to work they either last a few weeks and never show back up or they get let go. 1 out of maybe 10 new hires last and then only about half of the ones that do stay are hard workers with common sense. Maybe Iam one of the few younger generation that works hard and has some common since.

I think a lot of people, not jsut the younger ones are educated beyond their intelligence

That is a perfect example of what I was thinking
There should be no doubt as to why we are in the shape we are in as a nation

fitz":1hil0bpv said:
AllForage":1hil0bpv said:

What was your trade?

fitz

Tile, did residential and commercial so a guy observes a lot and talks to other people.

You really can't blame most youth today the system is to blame. It starts with the "everyone's a winner" mentality, doing away with vocational classes in high school, as well as kids don't get to be kids like the older generations did. We used to get up in the morning and head out into the hills for hours, jumping from rock to rock, scaling steep terrain, falling and picking ourselves back up and going on.

I think another reason (the main reason) is more people live in town in apartments and condos, no yard work or responsibilities to learn to work at a young age. Where I grew up we had year round school on 9 weeks off 3, the weeds seem to take about 9 weeks to grow pretty good. Spent our breaks doing chores, you figure out early on the faster you get it done the sooner you get to have fun. We had livestock; you learn about responsibility, most kids are lucky to have a dog or what they call a dog when you live in an apartment. The parent has to teach them work ethic, if the parent does not have it hard for the kid too.

As far as kids not liking to be yelled at or have tools thrown at them, can't say I blame them. After 10 years of little league, youth football, and being a 4H leader, I've found yelling does not work, stopping them and explaining what they are doing wrong, how to do it right, and what you expect of them will get you a lot further, screaming and throwing crap does not work, I'll raise my voice and let them know there screwing up, but I have better made sure they know what they are supposed to be doing first.

We have 40 year old employees who can't drive a stick and just about 90% percent of the kids we have under 26 can't. We run 150 employees; we do dry utilities, industrial electrical and line work. The electricians are union and we still have to sort through those that can and will work and those who want to slide, the linemen we have are pretty good, but that is a pretty tight group and they know who to send right back to the hall and who to keep before they even start on the job. For the dry utilities, we go through quite a few before we find kids that want to get dirty and work. When we do find good ones you find out that they were raised by parents that knew how work. They taught their kids how to work and it shows.

Work with them and train them, you have to look at most of these kids are a glob of clay, you have to form them into a good employee, teach them how to work, correct them when their wrong but you have to praise them when they do well, if you don't they won't try, it is just the way it is now days.

Latest posts