Beverly Hillbillies??

Help Support CattleToday:

Anybody sense a possible long distance romance between Jake and Ellie?!?!?

DR --- tell your son to shoot for the hog's head; right in the opening of the ear is my favorite spot. Kills 'em deader than hell. A shot in the area behind the shoulder, like some folks use on deer, many times does not leave much of a blood trail if the hog doesn't immediately drop -- especially with something as light as a .243 Regards, Arnold Ziffle

if he was shooting at the hog at night, and from some of my past deer hunting experiences (just kidding) it may be pretty hard to shoot him in the ear. the best bullet for a big hog is something heavy, 30-30 or .44, i killed one a while back with a mini 14, .223 and he ran about 10 feet but i hit him right behind the shoulder, it was in the daytime. i know a guy who hunts them with a mini 30, .308 i think he uses a 150 grain bullet, and he hasn't lost any of them yet. most .243's are around 100 grain bullets. sounds like your son is a pretty good shot to me

He is a good shot. In fact he's starting to make me look bad. Arnold Ziffle is right, if you can place one right at the base of the ear it's all over. I hunt 300 Weatherby Mag. If you miss something with it you'll still get it because it will scare them to death. I bought that cannon in hopes of making it out West for an Elk hunt someday. Anyways, the boy was so proud of the deal I had to get a head mount. Quite spooky looking to walk into the boy's bedroom and get greeted by that devilish looking thing. That hog had huge scars on his side from fighting other dominant boars, and one of his tusks had an inch or so broken off. His ears had been shredded obviously from the confrontation with my bulldog. It's a heck of a story for a kid to go tell all of his buddies.

Do you guys go hunting alot? And when you kill the hogs you don't kill for the fun of it do you? That's a waste! Do you do anything with the meat, tusks, & hide?
Ellie May

A hog can do more damage to a pasture than a root plow and all a 400lb boar hog does is make more 400lb hogs that do more damage to your pasture. A big boar hog isn't good eating either as the males have scent glands that permeate the meat especially when they're older. You could eat them if you want to, but they don't taste very good. Killing them protects your property from unbeliveable destruction and continued propogation. Best hog eating is from a 100lb or so young female, and once you've eaten that, you'll be hard pressed to go back to farm raised pork....yummy!

Latest posts