KY Hillbillies vs Appalachian Folks

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita":1fcgdgyz said:
I'm an Arkie hillbilly. I'm the first generation of my family to have indoor plumbing and electricity at birth. But my grandparents lived and died without it. Y2K and our year 2000 ice storm didn't affect them at all. Most folks were without electricity for 2-3 weeks including myself. My grandparents didn't know the difference. I bought a generator but my grandparents just kept carrying water from the spring

Very interesting. Demonstrates that you don't miss anything you don't have. The question it raises: Do we need the things we have?

Margonme":38ksiyhj said:
Ouachita":38ksiyhj said:
I'm an Arkie hillbilly. I'm the first generation of my family to have indoor plumbing and electricity at birth. But my grandparents lived and died without it. Y2K and our year 2000 ice storm didn't affect them at all. Most folks were without electricity for 2-3 weeks including myself. My grandparents didn't know the difference. I bought a generator but my grandparents just kept carrying water from the spring

Very interesting. Demonstrates that you don't miss anything you don't have. The question it raises: Do we need the things we have?

Yes, and I need even more.

Don't think we crossed the river in a wagon. Our family story is we floated down the river in flat bottom. Where I'm at,was about as far west as you could go at the time, and still be on US soil.

Bigfoot":12nzmnmw said:
Don't think we crossed the river in a wagon. Our family story is we floated down the river in flat bottom. Where I'm at,was about as far west as you could go at the time, and still be on US soil.

There is a gentleman, about 80 retired college professor of history, who I met at the YMCA in Maysville. Knows the history of Maysville and Mason County. The early setters to Kentucky came in via two primary routes. 1. Starting on the Allegheny River they came down to Maysville on Flatboats. They often had extra wood milled if they could afford it and stored on the boat. They dismantled the flatboats and used the wood for houses. These were the rich folks. 2. The poor folks came via the Wilderness Road that Daniel Boone helped Blaze across the Cumberland Gap. These were usually poor folks looking to escape debt, indentured service or the law.

Jim tells me my matrilineal surname of Mitchell is one of the three oldest families that settled in Maysville, Mason County, Kentucky where mom was raised. Lots of Mitchell's here. Also, lots of Boone's. Supposedly, mom's lineage includes an intermarriage with the Boone family. Two of the Boone brothers owned land in the Washington district.

Margonme":l316chkh said:
Jogeephus":l316chkh said:
Margonme":l316chkh said:
My pappy was right. Never checked it before but I guess the Museum of the Ohio River displays pictures of the Ohio during the 1930s drought:

The period April 1930 to March 1931 is the driest on record in Ohio although longer periods of low precipitation
have occurred from 1893-1896, 1952-1955, and 1963-1965.

Interesting to note all these droughts occurred before 1975 when the gov't required everyone to put catalytic converters on their cars. ;-)

I got you. Associating short term fluctuations in weather and climate with human activities is speculation, one way or the other. To distinguish between natural effects and man caused effects is impossible. It would take thousands of years of climatological data to determine whether the observeable changes are natural or man induced. None of us will live that long.

Climate change has to be man made because without mankind we would have no observational differences in climate.

Besides, methane gas coming from the sea floor or volcanoes is organic and everyone knows anything organic is good.

Ouachita":1kbqt775 said:
Same here..

I go back to the Logan's of Green Kentucky. Run out of town by sheriff just for riding horse back and shooting out street lamps.

My dads family came here in the 50's oil boom. Moms been here forever I guess, the house my moms family built in mid 1800's is still standing on a farm I own. Its in real bad shape I don't have the heart to take it down.

You guys should read The Frontiersman by Allen Eckert. Talks about Simon Kenton and that area (into Ohio), and the taking of land/warring with the Native Americans. Fascinating book, well written and I learned a ton. Plus, Simon Kenton was a B-A-D A$$ who ran the gauntlet several times and survived into old age. Tough dude.

Ron, this is particularly aimed at you. Buy this book, some better wine and go to town.

And fascinating post. My mother had an outhouse, but my father grew up very 'civilized.' Both are from Vermont, my mother very rural, which I wouldn't consider too different than a lot of you guys. Had farm animals and a garden to eat, not a hobby. No TV until she was close to 10, and a party line for a bit as a kid, too.

Bestoutwest":nidmt3ui said:
You guys should read The Frontiersman by Allen Eckert. Talks about Simon Kenton and that area (into Ohio), and the taking of land/warring with the Native Americans. Fascinating book, well written and I learned a ton. Plus, Simon Kenton was a B-A-D A$$ who ran the gauntlet several times and survived into old age. Tough dude.

Ron, this is particularly aimed at you. Buy this book, some better wine and go to town.

And fascinating post. My mother had an outhouse, but my father grew up very 'civilized.' Both are from Vermont, my mother very rural, which I wouldn't consider too different than a lot of you guys. Had farm animals and a garden to eat, not a hobby. No TV until she was close to 10, and a party line for a bit as a kid, too.

I can tell where I was the day I starting reading that book. Knoxville, TN. The year was 1978. In a motel. I read a couple other books by him. I think he is dead now.

Margonme":2aj9re4y said:
I can tell where I was the day I starting reading that book. Knoxville, TN. The year was 1978. In a motel. I read a couple other books by him. I think he is dead now.

He has passed, but he was able to finish the series before that happened. I am on book 4 of 6 and working my way through at the pace of a book a year. They're fantastic, just thick, and honestly there's other areas that I'm interested in as well.

Was it one of those 'nice' motels with the vibrating beds or one that you pay by the hour for? :hide:

littletom":ccaslikb said:
My dads family came here in the 50's oil boom. Moms been here forever I guess, the house my moms family built in mid 1800's is still standing on a farm I own. Its in real bad shape I don't have the heart to take it down.
So you're oilfield trash too! My mom's family moved to Mt. Gilead, Ohio in the early sixties chasing the boom. One of her school teachers announced to the class of 2nd or 3rd graders that oilfield people were dirty. Real nice lady.

Clodhopper":x07r5qxg said:
littletom":x07r5qxg said:
So you're oilfield trash too! My mom's family moved to Mt. Gilead, Ohio in the early sixties chasing the boom. One of her school teachers announced to the class of 2nd or 3rd graders that oilfield people were dirty. Real nice lady.

A real nice lady has a new word for that now, "deplorable"