Between the Sale Barn and the " pot load"

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I was in the car business for a long time and can honestly say I only bought one car at an Auction. It was a purpose bought Porsche that we built into a race car. I know cows ain't cars but I allways felt more comfortable buying a car from an individual or a dealer I knew I could trust. How many of y'all buy cattle from stockmen and not a barn? I would think that's where long term relationships are forged that are more reliable.

It would be better but if you are buying any numbers your going to have to be out west for it to work. Even then you can have trouble buying calves from one ranch and mixing them with calves from another. We are wanting to buy pot loads of conditioned calves but have about given up on it and know we will have to straighten calves out ourselves. AC doesn't need much sleep anyway.

I only buy from breeders that I know. However, I only have registered cattle. So I would guess the commercial market is much different. A whole different market.

I buy cattle both ways. With video and internet, less and less big strings are selling out of the country. Both have there good and bad points and really think auctions are a great place for buyer and seller to come together at any volume of deal. In 2013, our stocker inventory was sourced, 20% auction barn, 50% video/Internet auction and 30% country deals.

Aaron":3vcpo6xx said:
At least if you buy privately, you got a person to yell at when things go wrong. That's how it works right?

Kinda. You're 1/2 right, -- if deal turns bad, the seller DOES usually get the blame, but If it works out great, it's only because the buyer was such a great businessman and has the perfect eye for cattle. :kid: ;-)

99% of my cattle come from the same cattle farmer and after the dispurses his herd I will try to find someone to buy from directly. After I purchase these bred cows from him my wallet is gonna be light for a while and probably wont buy any for a long while.

You can get screwed on the farm just like at the sale barn. Once the seller knows how much or how little you know about cattle, that often determines how they price the animals and you leave totally happy. "I'm not screwed unless I think I'm screwed". Never hurts to have something to compare with.

If everyone did it privately sale barns would not exist.

Far more get sold at auction than get sold privately - and that includes registered cattle.

But then again - in my mind - far too many are registered anyways - a high percentage do not deserve to have papers after their names. And sooner or later they all end up in the ring.

Bought them both ways and would not hesitate to do either again

Bez

I buy at the sale barn . In 2013 I bought about 30 heavy bred cows and/or pairs to stock a leased pasture acquired next to family land/other cows . Out of the 30, I probably took back 8 and traded up over the course of the year . After studying them on the farm and deciding they weren't for me . I got close ( within $50-100 either way) every-time I traded up. Very happy with that and enjoyed every minute of the Sale Barn experience. My biggest concern was picking up something (sickness) at the sale barn and bringing it back . I turned my creek-pasture into a temporary quarantine

I have only bought a few cows from a sale barn, in my years of business. All others have been bought from breeders, friends, relatives, and some people who were selling out.

Limomike":3ptu2lcy said:
I have only bought a few cows from a sale barn, in my years of business. All others have been bought from breeders, friends, relatives, and some people who were selling out.

And how many went to the sale barn?

Someone had to buy them. LOL

Even the best breeders cannot sell them all out the front door.

Cheers

Bez

BobbyLummus":kt0q3oln said:
I buy at the sale barn . In 2013 I bought about 30 heavy bred cows and/or pairs to stock a leased pasture acquired next to family land/other cows . Out of the 30, I probably took back 8 and traded up over the course of the year . After studying them on the farm and deciding they weren't for me . I got close ( within $50-100 either way) every-time I traded up. Very happy with that and enjoyed every minute of the Sale Barn experience. My biggest concern was picking up something (sickness) at the sale barn and bringing it back . I turned my creek-pasture into a temporary quarantine

i like maintaining a closed herd so as to not bring in any illnesses which is why i have been buying from same person mostly. I honestly don't have time to miss every wednesday from my office to go to the closest sale barn the next closest is 2 hrs away and is on mondays since cattle is just a hobby I do not want it to interfere with my business.

I've bought all my beef calves from the stock barn, its near impossible for me to buy calves that size off craigslist or off the farm. I will say I've brought illness in doing this, we've used more LA this year than ever before. I'm in a unique situation where I have a line of credit with farm credit services and they want there money paid back every year. With that being the case I can't go build a herd this first year. I'll have to take what money I make and buy cows I want to keep in order to do that. I prefer this way as opposed to making monthly payments on cattle. I basically just pay the interest at the end of the year.

Bez__":6um3mi79 said:
Limomike":6um3mi79 said:

And how many went to the sale barn?

Someone had to buy them. LOL

Even the best breeders cannot sell them all out the front door.

Cheers

Bez

Bez.. Most of mine have gone to the sale barn.. but some private treaty...a few trades....

I have bought thousands of baby calves, stocker calves, and cows in salebarns. You could count on your hands how many I've bought strait off farms, except for bulls, I buy all my bulls as virgins off of breeders at there places.

Sure you can have problems with Salebarn cattle that you might not have with farm fresh animals, but it would be impossible for me to not buy at sales.

Before the drought, the average herd size in my county was 31 head. Most producers here run their bulls year round. I buy stocker calves on order for several people and could not begin to source enough animals if I did not buy at sale barns. Straight off the farm calves can have health problems too, especially when they are mixed with cattle from other farms to make a load lot (48,000 lbs).

Latest posts