Between Simple Indigestion and Grain Overload

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Broken fence between stockers and Cows - worst case scenerio a few of the mommas that know what is in the "steer Stuffer" ate to their hearts content and when we found them the next morning the damage had been done, but we have no concrete evidence.
Except -
After two days they seem alert and active just off "feed" - quiet, not coming to "greet" us but their eyes look clear, they are on their feet, they don't look bloaty, but do seem to have a bit of runny poo.
Will be giving them another check tonight, but what if anything can I do?
Not the whole herd, I think I have identified 3 animals that are acting this way.

I would say what is done is done. Can't do anything about it now. My concern would be acidosis from the grain, not only because they likely got a lot but because their rumen probably wasn't adjusted to it. Could have some feet problems as a result of laminitis. Then again they might show no problems and things will be peachy.

I would suggest getting some good hay into them. No other grain. Not sure what you are referring to as their normal "feed".

Too much grain can cause acidosis which can be dangerous. Here is one link. You might want to call your vet asap so he is ready if it progresses. Main thing is to get some hay in them, in my opinion. Good luck. Jim

http://www.thebeefsite.com/diseaseinfo/193/rumen-acidosis

mitch2":d4r2rxi2 said:
Broken fence between stockers and Cows - worst case scenerio a few of the mommas that know what is in the "steer Stuffer" ate to their hearts content and when we found them the next morning the damage had been done, but we have no concrete evidence.
Except -
After two days they seem alert and active just off "feed" - quiet, not coming to "greet" us but their eyes look clear, they are on their feet, they don't look bloaty, but do seem to have a bit of runny poo.
Will be giving them another check tonight, but what if anything can I do?
Not the whole herd, I think I have identified 3 animals that are acting this way.

One night...one gut full...shouldn't be a problem other than perhaps some scours and some wasted feed. Now give them an overload of grass and/or hay.

Thanks everyone! Everyone has recovered, there seem to be no long-term ill effects. I am glad it didn't turn out worse, although I was a bit scared!
Michele

You might want to keep an eye out for any signs of lameness/sore feet.

Depends what was in the steer stuffer. I had a momma cow get into one that had cracked corn and baby beef. She quit eating - obviously sick - never really got better and died in about a week - I assume from acidosis damage. But, as been said, what's done is done at this point.

angus9259":36sx8rut said:
Depends what was in the steer stuffer. I had a momma cow get into one that had cracked corn and baby beef. She quit eating - obviously sick - never really got better and died in about a week - I assume from acidosis damage. But, as been said, what's done is done at this point.

That's very unusual. You know that was what killed her?

TexasBred":39g45zj1 said:
angus9259":39g45zj1 said:

That's very unusual. You know that was what killed her?

Nope. She was fine up till to that day and quit eating they day after I busted her. Had acidosis runs. Spent a week laying down - I'd go out to stand her up. Eventually she gave up. Good question though.

Just curious...have had dairy cattle get into the commodity barn and eat a gut full of whole shelled corn with no adverse affects...but they were use to having a lot of grain as well and we're getting buffers in the feed so that probably helped.

Latest posts