Best WW2 movies

Help Support CattleToday:

I wish HBO would get their heads out of their butts and make some more good stuff like Band of Brothers, Pacific, and Tuskegee Airmen.

Kelly's Hereos.
Band of Brothers was a great series.
Need to watch The Pacific as I heard it was very good as well.

I think HBO is making anew series about b52 bombers, Tom Hanks and Spielberg are directing suppose to be a mini series too. As far as ww2 movies the fury with brad Pitt is a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Hunter":qq7pahbw said:
Kelly's Hereos.
Band of Brothers was a great series.
Need to watch The Pacific as I heard it was very good as well.

Yeah if you like Band of Brothers you will like The Pacific. I was kinda disappointed HBO didn't show The Pacific this weekend.

Ky cowboy":2ys3k7nl said:
I think HBO is making anew series about b52 bombers, Tom Hanks and Spielberg are directing suppose to be a mini series too. As far as ww2 movies the fury with brad Pitt is a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I hadn't heard that I hope it is true that would be amazing.

Son of Butch":21iqoyql said:
Das Boot (1981) "40,000 men were sent out on German U-boats... 30,000 never returned"

If you haven't seen it...It's kind of a mental grind.
Story of one crew dealing with daily demands and suicidal missions coming down from superiors.
All the while knowing they're nothing more than an expendable resource of the third reich.

I only watch it in German, drives my wife nutz.

Caustic Burno":1gjyt1sl said:
I was raised by those men.
As mentioned before had an uncle at Pearl the morning of, two more uncles that island hopped the Pacific.
Dad was in the Mediterranean campaign
along with Normandy .
I think very few today have the mettle of that generation.

I had huge respect for my grandfathers. I believe the Boy Scouts back in those days (ending in my youth) was a recruitment for the military. One grandfather flew B26 over Africa (got shot down twice), and my other was a gunner on a battleship.

Although I agree with your statement about people today (trying not to get too off topic), and certainly true in the millennial generation, I think your seeing a huge movement in my generation (gen x), who are taking the "modern homesteading" as the beginning of bringing back that mettle. Although it's later in our lives, late 30's early 40's, we've seen what was lost and are trying to bring it back. Whether or not it takes, who knows. We are almost fighting the "city movement" over the last 8-12 years and taking our real estate "funny money" and slowing down life.

Ky cowboy":qpg1w1fg said:

Nice, I thought Hanks, HBO and Ron Howard did an amazing job with from Earth to the Moon, so that should be exciting. I hope they send it to DVD.

warped04":3q5rnvwj said:
Caustic Burno":3q5rnvwj said:
As mentioned before had an uncle at Pearl the morning of, two more uncles that island hopped the Pacific.
along with Normandy .

I had huge respect for my grandfathers. I believe the Boy Scouts back in those days (ending in my youth) was a recruitment for the military. One grandfather flew B26 over Africa (got shot down twice), and my other was a gunner on a battleship.

Although I agree with your statement about people today (trying not to get too off topic), and certainly true in the millennial generation, I think your seeing a huge movement in my generation (gen x), who are taking the "modern homesteading" as the beginning of bringing back that mettle. Although it's later in our lives, late 30's early 40's, we've seen what was lost and are trying to bring it back. Whether or not it takes, who knows. We are almost fighting the "city movement" over the last 8-12 years and taking our real estate "funny money" and slowing down life.

In my part of the world we are seeing a lot of this...
younger families who want some acreage and a cow and some goats and chickens to produce their own food. willing to work to clean up tough land...learning a lot of stuff the hard way...but most are affluent enough to do it anyway...

Caustic Burno":3mf72d8n said:
warped04":3mf72d8n said:
I love Midway, and Band of Brothers. The Great Escape was amazing, along with the Dirty Dozen. Tora! Tora! Tora! and Memphis Belle. I'm sure there are others. I'm a sucker for WWII movies, and sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era. Maybe it's just because my grandfather flew a B26.
along with Normandy .

We also had politic leaders that had the interests of America first and foremost. Also do not sell the young ones short now. They have brilliant minds and can recognize BS when they hear it.

The Bridge Over The River Kwai
Should receive honorable mention for having best musical score with allied troops whistling the popular WWII melody
"Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" The song was whistled because the censors considered the lyrics too vulgar.

Hitler has only got one ball
Goring has two but they are very small
Himmler has something similar
But poor Goebbels has no balls at all

pdfangus":3184azox said:
In my part of the world we are seeing a lot of this...
younger families who want some acreage and a cow and some goats and chickens to produce their own food. willing to work to clean up tough land...learning a lot of stuff the hard way...but most are affluent enough to do it anyway...

Oh, I agree, you've described myself and what we are doing exactly. But when you say affluent, most of us have enough to buy / build and be debt free, but we are giving up those jobs that have financially freed us to do these things (or our funny money from the houses we've been house poor too over that last years). I'm assuming most are like me and have a decent job, but needing to make less cash and have a better quality of life. But there are a percentage of those that are moving and planning (against most peoples advice) to do small farming full time, and then there are those like myself and some others I've seen on these forums who are going to have a full time job and take up to providing food as a hobby / second source of income. I feel that puts us on the needing to make things work instead of buying new things, which is the start of the WWII generation was able to do. My hope is my kids take up the cause, and I don't want to predict the future, but bring back the farmer/rancher.

Son of Butch":3dbdudn9 said:
The Bridge Over The River Kwai
Should receive honorable mention for having best musical score with allied troops whistling the popular WWII melody
"Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" The song was whistled because the censors considered the lyrics too vulgar.

Hitler has only got one ball
Goring has two but they are very small
Himmler has something similar
But poor Goebbels has no balls at all

Did not know that. That was a cool movie.

Latest posts