Best type of eartags

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't have a lot of experience but fwiw I use the z tags. They go in easy and stay put

We have always used Y-Tex, they stay in for the most part and don't fade.

I like the two piece, tag with a button. We used Allflex at the dairy so I used them for years. Allflex tried to change (cheaper)the tag sometime in the 90's and they broke at the neck. I tried a cheaper knock off one year, don't recall the brand name but they were awful. They curled, faded, and broke off. I have been using the Feiring Duflex for several years and really like them. I use large for calves and maxi on the replacement heifers and cows. The maxi's have a longer wider neck that helps keep them away from the ear hair. If the pin hole gets too big in an old cow, I cut the neck off of an old calf tag and use it for a washer on a new button.

I used to help a friend with just a few cows work his calves. He used Y-tex and cut them out of his calves before he sold them and used the same tags over for years. We had preprinted pairs (same number in each ear) at the dairy. We cut them out when we sold the cow then refreshed the ink and gave that number to a new heifer.@

I have used Y Tex and have had some last and many that 1/2 of the tag broke off. Started first of this year with some free tags from Z tags promotion. I took five cows and a bull that had broken tags and put one brand in the right side and the other brand in the left side. Both Brands are working thus far but it has only been a few months.

I have had good luck with the duflex tags,I don't like z-tags at all.I had got a large box of Z-tags at a auction(over 1000 tags) so I used them for the last several years,I'm sure glad I'm out of them,only good thing I can think about them is you don't have a button to get lost.

We generally have a dew cows that have ztags when they get here. We use ytex ourselves. Seems like about 7-8 years is all the longer any of them last.

kenny thomas":mmaa54sg said:
What problems do you have with the z-tags? Just started using them because I had too many lost y-tex.

Calves lost lots of them and I aways seemed to stab myself with them(could be a personal problem).They also seemed to cut a big hole in a newborns thin ear if they moved much when I was tagging.I know lots of folks that really like Z-tags,but I prefer the two part tags.

AudieWyoming":36pr5s5e said:
I like the two piece, tag with a button. We used Allflex at the dairy so I used them for years. Allflex tried to change (cheaper)the tag sometime in the 90's and they broke at the neck. I tried a cheaper knock off one year, don't recall the brand name but they were awful. They curled, faded, and broke off. I have been using the Feiring Duflex for several years and really like them. I use large for calves and maxi on the replacement heifers and cows. The maxi's have a longer wider neck that helps keep them away from the ear hair. If the pin hole gets too big in an old cow, I cut the neck off of an old calf tag and use it for a washer on a new button.

I used to help a friend with just a few cows work his calves. He used Y-tex and cut them out of his calves before he sold them and used the same tags over for years. We had preprinted pairs (same number in each ear) at the dairy. We cut them out when we sold the cow then refreshed the ink and gave that number to a new heifer.@

Glad I am not completely insane. The same thing happened to us back in the 1990's. I had more than a couple of lively conversations with one of the managers at Allflex headquarters, and as a result, gave up using tags from that company when they wouldn't accept any possibility of broken tags, and shifted the blame onto my 'tag placement'. I never could believe that my few batches of 'bad tags' was due to my own fault. I only use Ritchey tags now, albeit with Allflex buttons, as the Ritchey buttons have to much plastic and snap in our winters. :cowboy:

Latest posts